Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why the qb64 editor is slow under linux
after my switch to linux, i notice that the qb64 editor is slow under linux...
I've heard people report that for some time now, but I'm generally only a Windows user. I honestly don't have a clue about how well the IDE performs on either the Linux or Mac systems. We'll dig into it in time, but Luke was the dedicated Linux developer and he walked off into the sunset during all the bruhaha over in Discord, so there's no one else up to speed to be able to answer any questions about the situation at them moment.
i recompiled qb64 with the -Ofast compiler option for gcc and g++. i noticed an improvement of the speed of the editor and the compilation of the programs. to do the same, you have to get the source code of qb64. then modify manually all the *.sh files, add the option and replace -O2 by -Ofast. launch setup_lnx.sh to recompile qb64...
in the source code of qb64, there is this line (it concerns linux) :

ELSE
SHELL _HIDE GDB_Fix("g++ -c -s -w -Wall libqb.cpp -D FREEGLUT_STATIC " + defines$ + " -o libqb/os/" + o$ + "/libqb_" + depstr$ + ".o") + " 2>> ../../" + compilelog$
END IF

is that it is possible to configure qb64 to run :

g++ -Ofast -c -s -w -Wall libqb.cpp -D FREEGLUT_STATIC

otherwise I will have to recompile qb64. I forgot the first time to modify this line in :

internal/source/main.txt

the source code of qb64 is weird and not logical. normally this kind of command should be specified in a separate configuration file to be modifiable without having to recompile everything at each modification...
well. finally i will create a bash script based on setup_lnx.sh to automate the processing and make sure that the -Ofast option is inserted everywhere where gcc or g++ is used. the generation of qb64 will also contain this option so that the programs compiled from the editor will be optimized to the maximum.
Thanks for your efforts, I will probably be needing it when I go back and work on Lin-Ox some more.
b = b + ...
thank you. if you want i can post a link to the optimized version of qb64 so you can compare the speed gain with the original version. concerning linux, if i had known that this system was so fun to manage, i would never have used windows...
This is great news, @Coolman.   One thing that really bothered me was the sluggishness of the QB64 editor under linux.  Thanks for sharing your discovery.

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
you will find the new script below.