Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off-Topic Dropbox sharing
@Steve

@Admin

A long time ago you mentioned about with dropbox that by having a "1" at the end of a link (instead of a "0"), made it easier for people to directly download a file in my free (for now) limited dropbox account. This technique had been working successfully for quite some time.

Recently, you and someone else now, has reported back to me that an error message occurs -... "You don't belong here...".

Any ideas how for me to share from dropbox a FOLDER to a particular person, with the minimum number of "hoops" to jump through to share - since what I did in the past (i.e. the "1" at end of link) does not now appear to work?

Note I am using the "free" version of dropbox with its known limitations - as I have been doing for some years now.
@Richard

@Steve doesn't auto-mention.

You need @admin for that.
If eggs are brain food, Biden has his scrambled.

Steve still reads all posts, so he's not hard to page. Big Grin

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/s...e-download

According to dropbox's help site, nothing has changed. dl=1 is still supposed to force download a file.

If you're trying it on a folder, that might be the issue. Try zipping the folder up into a .zip or .7z file and then see if the forced download works like you'd expect.
(05-04-2022, 11:12 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: Steve still reads all posts, so he's not hard to page.  Big Grin

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/s...e-download

According to dropbox's help site, nothing has changed.  dl=1 is still supposed to force download a file.

If you're trying it on a folder, that might be the issue.  Try zipping the folder up into a .zip or .7z file and then see if the forced download works like you'd expect.

OK will try with a zip file - the FOLDER was for convenience since it would constantly be updated - and therefore hoped that the one link would last forever.

Earlier in this General Discussion - (see topic Phoenix BASIC) - you pointed out that the link with a "1" at end does not work (this was for a PNG file). Can you confirm this still does not work. NOTE I am NOT using dropbox links for this forum as your add image to post feature does what I need. The link referred for you to retest is just for TEST PURPOSES ONLY - the topic is no longer valid for me.

Thanks
I use it for my clients to update my programs automatically and so far it works fine.
What I have realized is that if it is an .EXE file and there are several downloads, it blocks it to protect you from doing Spam.
What I do is change the extension from .EXE to .TXT to fool Dropbox, and then the downloader converts it back to .EXE
Greetings from Spain
Dropbox is such a dumb idgit! Big Grin

Gad to see you found your way back to the forum community. Kidding aside, I've used the ol' exchange extensions to post some exe's to friends at my forum, too.

Pete
If eggs are brain food, Biden has his scrambled.