Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alchemy - A word Game
Another small program that I'd like some advice on... I've called it Alchemy, and it's a game in which you try to transform a word into another related word, one letter at a time. It differs from the usual word-swap games in that you can lengthen or shorten the word as you play. I'd welcome any comments or suggestions on it

Attached Files
.zip   Alchemy.zip (Size: 3.6 KB / Downloads: 43)
Hi @PhilOfPerth

I wanted to try Alchemy and there is a file missing from your zip.

My! you must have a very large and wide screen, your comment column starts just before the right border of my screen!
b = b + ...
what size and resolution is your screen, B+?
Laptop is 1380 wide but 100 is used by tool bar on left side, so 1200 x 700 fits comfortable.
b = b + ...
Message received and gratefully accepted, BPlus. I'll use a smaller width setting in future. 
As for the missing file(s), I suspect this was the X,Y and Z of the dictionary. I changed the names of these to just the letter, instead of letter.txt, but found later I had missed those three. I corrected it on my copy but didn't do it on the zip. Ill fix this.
Thanks for the feedback. Blush
Turns out I hadn't attached ANY of the dictionary files! Sorry. They're in there now.

Attached Files
.zip   Ripple.zip (Size: 671.86 KB / Downloads: 35)
Hi @PhilOfPerth,

Well now I think you have the 2 games mixed up.

You know when I post a zip, I download it myself and extract, just to check if everything gets unpacked and running OK.
I've caught allot of goofy mistakes.
b = b + ...
As you were, bplus...
I was confused (again) with which file you were referring to. Alchemy doesn't require any attachments. The data is in the data statements, and when you play for the first time the Best Scores file is created. If you do a "Replace Best" before playing it you will get that error. I should have said that in the Instructions. I'll fix that.
(05-07-2022, 11:33 PM)PhilOfPerth Wrote: As you were, bplus...
I was confused (again) with which file you were referring to. Alchemy doesn't require any attachments. The data is in the data statements, and when you play for the first time the Best Scores file is created. If you do a "Replace Best" before playing it you will get that error. I should have said that in the Instructions. I'll fix that.

OK I am trying to run Alchemy and it keeps stopping at line 166 and saying file not found I continue and 20 more times it says file not found continue, Yes and even after we print 20 lines of 0's it still says file not found.

Here is the troubled code Sub:
Code: (Select All)
Sub LoadPairs
    Restore
    Cls
    Color 14: Print Tab(37); "Word Pairs"
    Print Tab(20); "Pair"; Tab(30); "First"; Tab(40); "Last"; Tab(50); "Best"; Tab(62); "By"
    Color 15
    Open "pairs" For Input As #1
    For a = 1 To numpairs
        Input #1, firstwords$(a), lastwords$(a), targets(a), names$(a) '                                                                      loads word-pairs from "pairs" file
        Color 14: Print Tab(20); a;: Color 15: Print Tab(30); firstwords$(a); Tab(40); lastwords$(a); Tab(50); targets(a); Tab(60); names$(a)
    Next
    Close #1
End Sub
b = b + ...
I've adopted your suggestion about downloading them myself and testing them. Should have been obvious I guess... just too arrogant or too lazy.