Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Rabbit Hole
To the Admins - If you don't think this thread is appropriate for this site please remove it.

Inspired by this thread on here, but not wanting to derail it, I went searching for old dialects of BASIC that are still available for download and not on the list provided by @CharlieJV. What I came across surprised me. Some are still there but are now open source (you may have to compile them yourself) and one is available via the wayback machine. For anyone interested here is the list of the ones I found with links to the relevant pages. Note I am not trying to direct people away from QB64, this is purely for curiosity's sake.

Dark-Basic-Pro (GitHub)
MediaBASIC (SourceForge)
REALbasic (wayback machine)
SmallBASIC (Own web site hosted via GitHub)
XBasic (Own web site hosted via SourceForge)
yabasic (GitHub)

Anyone know of any others (not including BASIC V included with Risc OS)

TR
RealBasic .... really wasn't. It went on to become xojo (unless there were multiple projects called Realbasic).
Feel free to post this list over in our Quick Link section, if you want. https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread...55#pid1355

It's nice to have one quick spot to jump to, to find references to other places and things. ?
THIS FORUM IS EXCLUSIVELY RESERVED FOR QB64 BASIC AND WE WILL NOT TOLERATE THE POSTING OF ANY OTHER BASIC LANGUAGES!!!

Oops, sorry, channeling Clippy again. As soon as the Holy Water my Son threw on me quits burning... I should be okay.

Ah, all better now. I've actually used everyone of those posted, except for MediaBasic. That old one is new to me.

Thanks for the list,

Pete Big Grin
Did Luke not make it over to the new PE? He had a language too:

https://github.com/flukiluke/L-BASIC
(05-14-2022, 08:05 AM)triggered Wrote: Did Luke not make it over to the new PE? He had a language too:

https://github.com/flukiluke/L-BASIC

Luke did like Fellippe -- he got tired of all the <everything> and walked away from the project.  You can see his final goodbye over at the archived forums, if you're interested. (And also the first hint of where RC was already going nuts and kicking everyone else who had any access to anything when Luke mentioned, "odin apparently I don't have admin login any more...")  

Cheerio, it's been fun (alephc.xyz)
Three more, out of quite a few different ones on Sourceforge, that caught my eye because to some extent they claim to be either QB 4.5 compatible or QBasic compatible.

The QB 4.5 compatible one first -

QuickerBasic

QBasic compatible -

UltraBasic Compiler

QBasic to C++ translator

And I've got to stop otherwise, sooner or later, I'll meet the white rabbit!

TR
One honourable mention and then I am definitely done -

Oxygen Basic

It's BASIC Jim, but not as we know it (OOP and lower case keywords). Also it is currently maintained (last update 2 April this year).

TR