Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phoenix Edition Discord
For the last month, we've been directing folks over to the old QB64 Discord channels, but here lately they've became amazingly hard to work out of.  QB64 fractured and split into half a dozen forks, and now every fork appears as if they want to argue over who's the "Official" inheritor of QB64.  It's full of drama, and emotions, and people insulting people, and as much as I hate to say it, it's just not a good place to go to actually talk about code, or the Phoenix Edition, or make suggestions or get quick feedback on a topic related to the stuff we're doing right now.

So, I've made us our own little Discord channel which is dedicated to the Phoenix Edition -- and the Phoenix Edition only -- in an attempt to put a filter between us and all the drama those other guys are generating.  All I want is a nice quiet and peaceful place where I can work and do my own stuff, and I think the vast majority of folks feel the same way, and hopefully that's what we're going to try and become at our own home on Discord.

Everyone is invited to join us there:  https://discord.gg/D2M7hepTSx

All we ask is that you stick the off-topic stuff in the dedicated off-topic channels, and leave all the fighting over which version of QB64 is going to end up being called the official version of QB64.  We're not interested in any of that drama.  All we want to do is be us, continue on as we've been continuing on, and we're more than happy to let all those other guys be those other guys.  We peacefully exist with FreeBASIC, PureBasic, and all the other BASICs out there on the whole wide web.  Why can't we peacefully tolerate the other branches of QB64, rather than fight over who gets to hold the title as being the "official" version of things.

I'll clear it up for everyone who likes to argue once and for all -- we're NOT "QB64 Official".  Never claimed to be.  We're just the Phoenix Edition, and that's what we're going to remain.  Hopefully the folks who end up visiting our private Discord will remember that.  At least, I hope they will.  Big Grin

https://discord.gg/D2M7hepTSx
Does this post mean to say QB64 is discussed online in places other than forums? I was considering joining "Discord". (Is it a Chat Room?) But I got overwhelmed with choices and risk. Do people post program's on Discord? Just the name sounds fishy to these old ears.

Thanks in advance,

-T
It's mainly a chat channel, a lot like IRC used to be. It's good for transient conversations, but not so great for preserving work or keeping things up for any longer period of time at all.
(05-15-2022, 09:30 PM)admin Wrote: For the last month, we've been directing folks over to the old QB64 Discord channels, but here lately they've became amazingly hard to work out of.  QB64 fractured and split into half a dozen forks, and now every fork appears as if they want to argue over who's the "Official" inheritor of QB64.  It's full of drama, and emotions, and people insulting people, and as much as I hate to say it, it's just not a good place to go to actually talk about code, or the Phoenix Edition, or make suggestions or get quick feedback on a topic related to the stuff we're doing right now.

So, I've made us our own little Discord channel which is dedicated to the Phoenix Edition -- and the Phoenix Edition only -- in an attempt to put a filter between us and all the drama those other guys are generating.  All I want is a nice quiet and peaceful place where I can work and do my own stuff, and I think the vast majority of folks feel the same way, and hopefully that's what we're going to try and become at our own home on Discord.

Everyone is invited to join us there:  https://discord.gg/aYFWnpNztK

All we ask is that you stick the off-topic stuff in the dedicated off-topic channels, and leave all the fighting over which version of QB64 is going to end up being called the official version of QB64.  We're not interested in any of that drama.  All we want to do is be us, continue on as we've been continuing on, and we're more than happy to let all those other guys be those other guys.  We peacefully exist with FreeBASIC, PureBasic, and all the other BASICs out there on the whole wide web.  Why can't we peacefully tolerate the other branches of QB64, rather than fight over who gets to hold the title as being the "official" version of things.

I'll clear it up for everyone who likes to argue once and for all -- we're NOT "QB64 Official".  Never claimed to be.  We're just the Phoenix Edition, and that's what we're going to remain.  Hopefully the folks who end up visiting our private Discord will remember that.  At least, I hope they will.  Big Grin

https://discord.gg/aYFWnpNztK
Great! And a bit overdue, I think! I'll be one regular visitor (even if not much of a contributor). But the name Discord still irks me a bit - someone suggested Harmony would be better and I agree with that.
Anyway, well done and thanks.
Just avoid the off-topic channels. Those are where the wild animals go to play. As long as they stay out of the normal channels, they're a nice place for the monkeys to monkey around.
Steve,

Thank you for the invitation and the clarification. But, if it is all the same to you, I would prefer to do all my learning and sharing, in reference to "PE", with 'this' dedicated Forum. Smile

J
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
(05-16-2022, 10:00 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Steve,

Thank you for the invitation and the clarification. But, if it is all the same to you, I would prefer to do all my learning and sharing, in reference to "PE", with 'this' dedicated Forum. Smile

J

Personally, I prefer the forums too, but sometimes you have to go to where the people are if you want to interact with them.  I love my farm, but for some reason, I always meet and socialize with a lot more people when I go out to town, or to church, than I do just sitting and watching my TV in my living room.  Wink
@johnno56 I tend to agree. After a few more visits, I think I'm more comfortable here.
Steve
I tried to login to Phoenix discord
but Invite is invalid ..why is that ?
(05-18-2022, 08:01 AM)aurel Wrote: Steve
I tried to login to Phoenix discord
but Invite is invalid ..why is that ?

Sorry about that.   We'd started out as a plain Discord channel, and then someone suggested "You guys need to upgrade to become a Community Channel, just in case you ever grow as large as the other Discord."  So, I stumbled around in the settings, found the magic button and clicked it...   And apparently that changed the server so that the old links to it no longer worked any longer.   

https://discord.gg/D2M7hepTSx -- this should be a valid new invite for people to hop over and join us.  If it doesn't work, just mention it to me and I'll try to sort out why the heck I can't click a "Copy" button properly, or try and sort out whichever setting I've got toggled somewhere that I don't need to have toggled.  LOL!  All these new social platforms and control panels and options and such are completely new to me, so I hope you guys will bear with me for a bit as I sort past the learning curve and figure out what the heck I'm actually doing with everything.  Wink