Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic for games only
The size of the programs scared me at first, compared to the size of the same program compiled in QB45.

Later I understood that because QB64 loads all the libraries, a single-line program that says 'PRINT "HELLO WORLD" occupies 1,673 kb. On the other hand, my billing program, which already has 47,329 lines, occupies only 12,304 Kb.
Question 
Just a question: Wouldn't the use of a "smart linker" (as in Turbo C) solve the problem of the size of the executables, and therefore the speed of loading, or even execution? Idea
Before to send the arrow of truth, dip the head in a honey pot (Cheyenne saying).
Don't tell my Mom I'm on iMac with macOS, she thinks I work on PC with Windows. Tongue
(06-02-2022, 07:30 AM)Fifi Wrote: Just a question: Wouldn't the use of a "smart linker" (as in Turbo C) solve the problem of the size of the executables, and therefore the speed of loading, or even execution? Idea

It would, it has just never been a priority of the project. In QuickBasic it could also be done manually, but you have to remember, QB64 translates to C/C++ and then the code goes through a third party compiler. So my guess is if someone wanted to tackle it, that person would have to know the C/C++ syntax, not just the QB64 keywords. I recall for QuickBasic excluding error trapping and printing for most programs that didn't use those features saved a considerable amount of space back then.

Pete
Interesting....

Does this mean that there are really no limits if using qb64 to create something like a web browser?   Or an email app similar to gmail or outlook?  Or something like microsoft paint?   Or would that be going too far and be better to use higher level languages?

Quote:but you have to remember, QB64 translates to C/C++ and then the code goes through a third party compiler
Reply to #1
also if I use programming in hobbystic manner, in the past at the age of Qbasic and DOS I have build some applications:
a tool for navigation file, directory and drives ,
a trainer for speed reading ,
a numerologist ,
a File manager (like Norton Commander/ PCtools for copy, rename, kill, create, move files and directories, format drives)
an hexadecimal editor of files
a RAD for creating ASCII interface using ASCII objects (I have posted the adaptation for QB64 some days before the first apparition of the first version of Inform by Fellippe) nowadays we say a RAD for TUI

in the same time I have build a clone of Arkanoid, a clone of Pong and a clone of Snake.

Reply #14
" Does this mean that there are really no limits if using qb64 to create something like a web browser? Or an email app similar to gmail or outlook? Or something like microsoft paint? Or would that be going too far and be better to use higher level languages?"

IMHO ( I am not a developer nor a project man to lead QB64 future)
All programming languages have their own limits,
QB64 is a procedural imperative high level ianguage , no OOP but if you like use external libraries you have much power.
So it is necessary that you use good programming practice to get some degree of results
Hi-there friends.

This is my very first post. Only discovered QB64 a few months ago and as one who started out with QuickBasic 2, it feels like coming home.  Smile

I don't want my first post to be an essay but I have a long story to tell about my success with BASIC and how it put me in business..... Only if there is any interest (?)

Today, I use:

B4A (Android compiler)
RFO BASIC! (Android interpreter)
PicoMite (Ms-compatible interpreter on the RPi Pico)
FlexBASIC (FreeBASIC - inspired compiler for the 8 - core Parallax Propeller)

Now it looks like I need to get back to some Windows development and am really happy to find QB64  Cool

Craig
Hi @Craig, Welcome Home!
b = b + ...