Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The entire QB64 Wiki assembled in a pdf file
Thumbs Up 
@RNBW - a really good job. The mathematical functions are well summarized under "Mathematical Operations" with examples; and so forth. This corresponds exactly to the meaningful structure as in the book by "The Waite Group" mentioned above.
(06-06-2022, 11:43 AM)RNBW Wrote: There are advantages and disadvantages to having online help systems/wiki.  The main disadvantage is that you have to be online to use it.  If you are away from home and don't want to access possibly dodgy wifi, you are stumped!

I always try to produce a .chm and/or pdf help file, even though it means a lot of hard work copying and pasting and frequently adjusting text and format.  I was doing this so often that I decided to buy a copy of HelpNDoc Professional (using birthday and Christmas present money - it's a bit pricy).  It's been a good investment for me because I can use its editor to produce both .chm and pdf versions with ease.

I have started to develop the QB64 Phoenix Wiki using HelpNDoc and the following links are where I have got at present.  There is a long way to go.  I'm currently doing it as an hospital job, but if there is sufficent interest I will spend more time on it.

Links:  CHM  https://www.dropbox.com/s/46mukxbyfgpj5n...i.chm?dl=0
                    (after downloading right click on the file in Explorer, then Proprties and Unblock)

PDF  https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zktrvlt1p7rlx...i.pdf?dl=0

I hope some will find it of interest.

hello @RNBW, excellent work. clear and precise. there are still a lot of external links concerning qb64 that require internet access. if you could correct this, it would be perfect.
@Coolman
Thank you for your kind comments.
I'm sure you're right that there will be external links required. However, my intention at the moment is to work through the QB64 and QB keywords alphabetically. Once that is done I can look for external links and deal with them. The next stage will be to copy and paste to keywords by usage, which will pick up these links automatically.

The thing I like about what I am doing is that as you are copying and pasting you quite often Pick up things you've forgotten about or, in some cases, didn't know about.
I have completed a major stage of converting the QB64PE Wiki to CHM, PDF and Word. The only section left to be converted is the Keyword by Usage section. I have left the tutorial section as links, but intend to convert these to offline in due course (where it is possible). Of course since I started this exercise, some topics may have been updated (I have noticed some of the QB64PE specific keywords were last edited in late June and there may be more).

The link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mc168pm01r7vj...i.zip?dl=0
Is the IDE Help on-line?
b = b + ...
I can't find a help file for the IDE
(07-04-2022, 02:47 PM)RNBW Wrote: I can't find a help file for the IDE

I am meaning the contents of this Help in the IDE

b = b + ...
Sorry, I'm a bit dumb today.
Just to clarify:
You don't mean a help file that explains how to use the IDE. This was what I thought you meant.
You want to know if the help file in the IDE menu is online.

If the latter, then I don't believe it is online, other than I believe it is a shortcut of the Wiki. I must say I am a bit out of my depth with the QB64 IDE because I rarely use it. I normally use Dav's IDE.
That's sort of my point, if y'all used the IDE you wouldn't have to worry if the Internet goes down, you'd have help right when and where you would use it.
b = b + ...
(07-04-2022, 10:00 PM)bplus Wrote: That's sort of my point, if y'all used the IDE you wouldn't have to worry if the Internet goes down, you'd have help right when and where you would use it.

What you see in the IDE help is practically a offline (text)copy of the online Wiki pages. To show the IDE help you don't need to be connected to the internet. However, the IDE help has only the Keyword pages in its offline cache (internal\help). If you follow a link to any explanatory (non-keyword page), then the IDE will try to download that page and also cache it for later use. This obviously can only work with Internet connection, otherwise you just get a temporary auto-generated error page instead.
The menu entries "Update current page" and "Update all pages" also make downloads on demand to fetch and cache the latest changes from the Wiki.