Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
working extended Atari Adventure game in QuickBasic by rtorres !
Searching through my old downloads, I found the Atari classic done in QuickBasic (I knew I had it somewhere!) by mtorres, and it works in QB64! It feels like Christmas in June!

Here's a link to the youtube video of it running: 
And here's a link to the game and the source code !!! :
For me (and I'm sure a bunch of fellow geeks who grew up with the Atari VCS and programming games in BASIC on their 8-bit home computers) this is like finding the holy grail! The source code for Atari Adventure in BASIC!! 

I definitely plan on playing with this code and seeing what can be done with & learned from it. 

To make it easy and in case the mega.nz/youtube ever go down, I'm attaching the files: 
  • "Adventure game atari.pdf" = the original post about it which I had saved the PDF of
    (I'm not finding the original in the QB64.org backup...?) hurray for OCD!
  • "Adventure game atari (2017-05-19).7z" = the original code I downloaded
  • "Adventure.zip" = the (newer?) code & files I just found at mega.nz

Enjoy, and thanks to mtorres (are they still part of the QB64 community?) for sharing this with the world!

Attached Files
.pdf   Adventure game atari.pdf (Size: 183.54 KB / Downloads: 70)
.zip   Adventure.zip (Size: 155.86 MB / Downloads: 53)
.7z   Adventure game atari (2017-05-19).7z (Size: 1.2 MB / Downloads: 64)
The Holy Grail is called StarMaster, but in all fairness, it was made by Activision for Atari 2600. I got so good at it, I rolled the score over once. Took a Polaroid of the screen, so my neighbor, Fred Flintstone, would believe me!

Nice find! Cool it works out of the box. I did not know an mtorres back in the day, though.

Pete
If eggs are brain food, Biden has his scrambled.

(06-04-2022, 07:14 PM)Pete Wrote: The Holy Grail is called StarMaster, but in all fairness, it was made by Activision for Atari 2600. I got so good at it, I rolled the score over once. Took a Polaroid of the screen, so my neighbor, Fred Flintstone, would believe me!

Nice find! Cool it works out of the box. I did not know an mtorres back in the day, though.

Pete

I still have that cartridge! It was definitely a fun game, kinda like Star Raiders but you didn't need the keypad controller. (From what I've read, the original version for the Atari 800 is the one to play, I haven't gotten around to emulating the Atari 8-bit computers yet.)

Pete, Starmaster doesn't strike me as too hard a game to program. Or at least one that would be well within the capabilities of QB64. Go for it!
This is cool!
Believe it or leave it, I recently added "Adventure clone" to the list of rainy day projects that I always forget about on rainy days.
Oh well, I guess "Combat clone (with opponent AI)" can take that spot on the list instead.
(06-24-2022, 04:23 PM)JRace Wrote: This is cool!
Believe it or leave it, I recently added "Adventure clone" to the list of rainy day projects that I always forget about on rainy days.
Oh well, I guess "Combat clone (with opponent AI)" can take that spot on the list instead.

Maybe instead of "Adventure Clone" or "Combat Clone", how about extending and improving them? 

What would be cool would be "Adventure Construction Set" & "Combat Construction Set" with simple tools to easily extend each game with new screens, etc. 

For Combat, in addition to the AI player, how about supporting upto 4 player multiplayer? And a multi-screen world (kind of like Adventure)? I saw somewhere that someone had made a multiplayer (cooperative? competitive? split screen?) version of Adventure for Linux. I haven't tried running it, but it sounds neat. 

Once there is a construction set, you can mash them up and have the Combat tanks battling each other in the world of Atari Adventure... 

The possibilities are endless! :-D
Ooooh. They're now on the list.
(06-24-2022, 05:30 PM)JRace Wrote: Ooooh.  They're now on the list.

When you get something running, let us know!