Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DavsIDE - Alternative IDE for the QB64 compiler
DavsIDE is an alternative IDE to use with QB64.  I started this back in 2010, when QB64's IDE was still very slow to use.   However, the QB64 IDE today is FAR better than back in 2010 , making my IDE almost useless now.  Although DavsIDE is no longer being actively developed, I will update it from time to time to correct bugs and to thank the people that have supported it over the years.  It has a read me file (DavsIDE.txt) so read that for more information on how to use the IDE. 

- Dav

NOTE: This is for Windows only, and is in .EXE format only, no source included.

Latest version:  

.zip   davside-v131.zip (Size: 467.75 KB / Downloads: 287) (Uses the newer font, with more selectable font sizes,  8pt to 18pt)

Older version:

.zip   davside-v130.zip (Size: 452.31 KB / Downloads: 108)   (Uses the older font, selectable sizes 12pt, 14pt, 16pt)

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
@Dav
Happy to say it works with QB64V07.1 and Windows 11.  No 10 point font though.
Glad to hear, @RNBW.  I'm re-writing the font routines at the moment, and using a better CP437 font that I came up with.  Working the bugs out now, will update with the 10pt font soon (much sooner than 9 years like it took for the last update, lol).

- Dav

from the picture, it looks like a very interesting editor. it's a pity that it's for windows only. i use for many languages under linux geany which is very efficient.
Quote:. i use for many languages under linux geany which is very efficient.
  i am not surprised  all you linux users are forced to use geany simply because is lite 

and i can say that i hate it because ugly way for configuration files
I have updated DavsIDE again to v1.31 to fill the smaller font requests.  v1.31 uses new CP437 fonts to closer match the built-in font QB64 uses, and now you can select more font sizes, from 8pt to 18pt.  While updating the font code I also found and corrected a bug that existed in the older versions.

If you already have a DavsIDE.ini settings file, when you run this new IDE version you will need to set your font size again on the first run only.  Your other IDE settings will remain as they were.

I left the previous IDE version up (v1.30) in case you like the looks of the old font better and want to go back to it. 

(For some reason the line number area on the left doesn't resize as it should when selecting using larger font sizes, I'm working on that...)

- Dav

I like the look of the IDE... What are the chances of a Linux version popping up?
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
@Dav
I've installed v1.31. With the new font installed, my opinion is that 10 point is too small (at least for my aging eyes) and 12 point is fine. However, I would say that if you were changing the font I'd rather see a nice clear font like Consolas (I've never liked the original QB64 IDE font - it was one of the reasons I was pleased to find your IDE in the first place).
@johnno56: Sorry to say not much.  The way I coded this IDE it uses a bunch of Windows API calls.  It would be possible to re-code all those to a linux way, and then compile it with a linux version of PureBasic, but I doubt I would be spending the time to do all that to be honest.

@RNBW:  The Consolas font is very clean and beautiful, and I did look into using that.  Only problem with it is that it doesn't show the extended characters like QB64 code page font does.  I will post a screen shot of the IDE using Consolas to show how the ASCII chart doesn't show those characters using it.  But I hear you - after playing with the IDE using the new font, I'm liking the cleaner older one better too.  I will come up with a better and cleaner code page font for the IDE, because I want it for another project in the works - I'm combing a small basic language compiler (made using THIS method) and another version of this IDE to make an all-in-one package.  Yeah, another obscure and probably useless basic language/compiler thing enters the world, lol...

- Dav

Attached Files Image(s)

@Dav
That printout of the Consolas font in your IDE looks very good. Personally, I could manage with the Ascii set it comes with. I've used it elsewhere for some time without problems. How about including it as an option to the built in font.

Edited: 10 June 2022