Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trojan in 0.8?
I just had QB64 phoenix 0.8 throw an alert about an internal IDE error and windows threw up a Trojan alert at the same time. I was creating a simple screen mode 0 program at the time. I was using the 0.8 build that came with the  download.
I assume you got your install from here? https://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/...tag/v0.8.0

I'd be curious if you have the code and a brief description of what you were doing right before it blew up, obviously what you encountered shouldn't have happened. Presumably Windows didn't like whatever the failure was, though I'm surprised it didn't just kill QB64 outright if it threw such a warning about it. And no, there's no virus if you got the build from that link, the release versions are built on GitHub and you can see the build log here if you'd like to take a look, it just builds the code that is on GitHub.

We just release a v0.8.1 which you might consider trying, especially if the bug fixes seem to be related to what you were doing at the time (Seems unlikely, but you never know): https://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/...tag/v0.8.1
yes from the github.

I had a do loop inside a do loop.
-----
px=10:py =10
Do
locate px,py: print chr$(219) <<<< i did use ASCII CHART TO PUT THE CHARACTER IN THE CODE WITHIN THE IDE
Do
_limit 60
A$=inkey$
loop until A$<>""
if A$="W" then py=py-1
loop until A$="q"
-----

Maybe it was the character being used in the IDE?
Thanks for the code Smile I'll mess with it a bit more but I'm not sure Undecided I have tried a few times with inserting the actual character 219 in that place but it seems to work for me (and the program works as expected).

The program didn't build right, it presumably threw the error before that happened?
(06-11-2022, 01:44 AM)DSMan195276 Wrote: Thanks for the code Smile I'll mess with it a bit more but I'm not sure Undecided I have tried a few times with inserting the actual character 219 in that place but it seems to work for me (and the program works as expected).

The program didn't build right, it presumably threw the error before that happened?

It happened while I was trying to add another line of :    If A$=       
it threw the error before accepting anything after =
 Windows wouldn't let me take a screenshot. I kept getting the IDE error when I tried to type anything new in qb64.  I had to restart the system.
Hmm, I've tried it a bunch with the v0.8.0 build but I can't get the IDE error to pop-up Undecided Are you willing to try it again? I suspect it's probably an inconsistent/rare error, so it may just work if you try it again, but it's a bit hard to say unfortunately. Sorry for the troubles.
I had a trojan alert when I wrote a 3 line key snippet, and tried to compile it. This was before I whitelisted the directory. It wasn't saved, so it was titled untitled.exe. What was interesting is that from that point on, I could not compile any new QB64 program titled as untitled.bas. Of course I just went into the quarantine area and unlisted the file. Anyway, it is good to note that false positives do happen and that if your program fails to compile for no logical reason, it might be your antivirus or firewall causing the problem.

Pete
Tonight I had a C++ compile failure with a Permission Denied in the log. It was fresh v.8.1 and I had just compiled Hello$.bas for Hello World check, fine, then I went to test a program from a folder I moved from v.8.0 to folder v.8.1 when I got this flag. I tried another program and came back, it started working. Meanwhile I was changing shortcut and the pin to toolbar and reregistering .bas files to the new QB64 version. It seems to be working OK as I translated an old MasterMind game from SmallBASIC.
b = b + ...
(06-11-2022, 02:52 AM)DSMan195276 Wrote: Hmm, I've tried it a bunch with the v0.8.0 build but I can't get the IDE error to pop-up Undecided Are you willing to try it again? I suspect it's probably an inconsistent/rare error, so it may just work if you try it again, but it's a bit hard to say unfortunately. Sorry for the troubles.

Not sure I can recreate the IDE error, I halfheartedly tried and just went to using the older version of QB64 for now. There's a chance it caused a pointer to wander off into the forbidden zone so it triggered the Virus alert. There's always a chance I got lucky and got to see a cosmic radiation caused memory error.  There's supposedly one per month in every 256 MB of RAM so....I'ts got to be noticeable every now and again. (Not likely but a fun explanation)
when i was under windows. it was difficult to use qb64 without the antivirus going off. it seems that virus and trojan programmers use this language a lot as well as freebasic and purebasic. security software is based on a behavioral mode common to these three development tools...