Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help converting old style def fn functions
Yeah DIM variable at the top of the scope... an habit taken from TurboPascal for me, then from C, maybe Turbo C 1.0?
I have headache when I find variables declared in the middle of the main or of a SUB/Function.... it remember me chaotic C code found on the way of programming learned looking at code of someoneelse.

I'm stop developing a tool that translate DEF FN into Functions....
the boring part is still to be written... a parser of code that makes a list of variables in the main, a list of variable in DEF FN and makes a SHARED declaration for sharing those are in common...
thinking that 99% of code with DEF FN follow the rule declare inline variable type suffix anywhere...it must be a strong parser for don't loosing something on the road of translation!
(07-27-2022, 01:16 AM)TempodiBasic Wrote: Yeah DIM variable at the top of the scope... an habit taken from TurboPascal for me, then from C, maybe Turbo C 1.0?
I have headache when I find variables declared in the middle of the main or of a SUB/Function.... it remember me chaotic C code found on the way of programming learned looking at code of someoneelse.

I'm stop developing a tool that translate DEF FN into Functions....
the boring part is still to be written... a parser of code that makes a list of variables in the main, a list of variable in DEF FN and makes a SHARED declaration for sharing those are in common...
thinking that 99% of code with DEF FN follow the rule declare inline variable type suffix anywhere...it must be a strong parser for don't loosing something on the road of translation!

Sometimes I get a little OCD with trying to clean up variable declarations. 
Option Explicit helps! 

I'm sure that tool will help people, when and if you ever get around to finishing it!