Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64pe version 3.0 released!
Well guys, all of us here on the development team are now happy to announce that we've officially released version 3.0 of QB64-PE!

Now, I can hear some of you already asking (and a few complaining) about, "Gosh Timmy, isn't that a large jump in version numbers suddenly?"

No.  No it is not.  Big Grin

As we've explained in the past, the reason why we dropped back down to below 1.0 as our version number was simply because we weren't confident that what we were publishing was a stable release.  We branched off from the last development version that the old time had left behind, and were uncertain if everything they'd been working on was finished, or still a work-in-progress and unstable.  In our opinions, anything 1.0 and above should be considered a stable release and not one that's under constant development and bugfixes -- such as what we've had so far.  (Just look at our version history and you'll see what I'm talking about -- v 0.8 comes out, v0.8.1 is released 2 days later to patch something, v0.8.2 comes the next day as another bug fix...)

V3.0 should be a stable version, and shouldn't be subject to the same issue of constant repair.  We've finally incorporated all the old QB64 Team's work, verified it, and moved past it.  Everything from this point on is all us, and any new issues introduced into the source are entirely by us.  We've moved past the point of uncertainty over the past work that we've inherited, and we're ready to move forward and proudly say, "As far as we know, everything in here should be working as expected."  (Now, saying that, there's *still* some long established bugs and glitches that haven't all been ironed out yet, but those are "working as expected".  We haven't gotten around to fixing them yet, but as far as we know, we haven't added any new glitches into the matrix as of yet.)

So why'd we go from v0.8.2 all the way to v3.0?  

To indicate that we're an extension of the old QB64 and newer than their last release.  The last version from the QB64 Team was v2.0.2 -- we've built upon that, and finally gotten what we consider to be a stable version.  v3.0 seems like a fitting name for the new release, don't you guys think?

So what has changed between version 0.8.2 and v3.0?  Lots of stuff!

Quote: This is the first major release of QB64 Phoenix Edition. v3.0.0 was chosen to avoid overlapping with the existing QB64 v1 and v2 versions. QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.0.0 is compatible with QB64 v2.0.2.
Enhancements
  • #122#125#130#132 - Several improvements to the Help display in the IDE - @RhoSigma-QB64
  • #136 - Several naming and visual changes to reflect the "Phoenix Edition" branding - @RhoSigma-QB64
    • The executable is now named 
      qb64pe
       on Linux and Mac and 
      qb64pe.exe
       on Windows.
  • #139 - The files written to ./internal/temp are now buffered in memory and only written out when a build is requested - @RhoSigma-QB64
Bug fixes
  • #127 - Fixed linking of static libraries on Windows - @mkilgore
  • #126 - The math evaluator in the IDE will no longer crash when dividing by zero - @mkilgore
  • #131 - 
    setup_lnx.sh
     was fixed to properly call 
    make clean
     - @GeorgeMcGinn

Full Changelog: v0.8.2...v3.0.0

Download can be found at our github, at the latest release page here:  Releases · QB64-Phoenix-Edition/QB64pe (github.com)
Thumbs Up 
thumbs up Smile
Call it V8, then no one can say we aren't running on all 8 cylinders.

Happy to see it. I think V3 eliminates any confusion about comparing it with the previous QB64 releases.

Pete Big Grin
If eggs are brain food, Biden has his scrambled.

I don't know, at 3.0 you'd at least expect a spellchecker and maybe a side order of C++ ;-))

Congratulations for considering this stable!
b = b + ...
Yep, leave it to a farmer to make a "stable" version.

Pete
If eggs are brain food, Biden has his scrambled.

hello. excellent work.

i've had a look at the makefile. why didn't you take the opportunity to define at least the -O2 optimization when compiling qb64 and libraries. if you followed my post about using qb64 compiled in -O3 it's clear that it's much faster and i haven't noticed any instability of qb64 or generated programs so far...

I noticed that the -O2 option is defined in /internal/c/parts/core
well apparently, put the variables :

CXXFLAGS_EXTRA = -O3
CFLAGS_EXTRA = -O3
CXXLIBS_EXTRA = -O3

at the beginning of the makefile does the job.

also edit the makefile of /internal/c/parts/core and replace -O2 with -O3

then in qb64pe, use Options / C++ compiler settings to activate the optimization functions in -O3
Coolman, often -O3 is slower than -O2 and when -O3 is faster than -O2 it's usually by a very small percentage, besides, -O2 is safer than -O3.
I rarely use -O3
Sure O2 is safer than O3. Oxygen is always safer than ozone!

Pete

- I figer thins out, eventueally.
Am I the only person who gets a minicule console screen for output, with no apparent means to increase its size.