Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.2.0 Released!
Couple of Sound issues:

Memory leak with _SndClose.

_SndBal works but is no longer linear as described in the wiki:

Quote:The volume decreases linearly (at a constant gradient) over distance. Half volume = 500.
(09-13-2022, 11:58 AM)Fifi Wrote: Creating proper packages is another (long) story and also have its pro and cons, the major last one with packages such as .deb being:
a) their relative inflexibility wit regard to where the product are installed and,
b) the practical incapability for the end user to modify it, which is not the case of a source bash script. (i.e., with my script, if you want to change the location of the installation there is only one variable to modify in the source files).
Note: BTW, creating a package of the type .deb or equivalent for other Linux distributions than Debian/Ubuntu bases requires, from what I know, a fixed place holder on a fixed server (or repository) and a fixed name for the product to install. I've to double check that further but in any case, I doubt this way would be as flexible as my script for example for the choice of the installation location that I will introduce in my next release. Just my two cents.
Looking forward.
Cheers.
Fifi
You have a lot of good ideas which, sadly clash with what is the intention of other people and corporations. With the way things are going with Debian/Ubuntu, it's not recommended to package anything into a DEB. Beginners are just not going to come near it. Slowly and steadily, users of Ubuntu in particular are being discouraged from using "apt-get" or to acquire DEB files in any way to install directly, because a DEB file could come from a person or persons with malicious intentions. When one fires up Firefox on Ubuntu for the first time (as I did with Ubuntu Studio "Jammy Jellyfish" a few months back), it creates a directory under "Downloads". No other web browser does such a thing. Also why is a directory even needed for updates or for anything else? Aside from other things it has to create "internally" such as the cache to display web pages properly.

A program is appreciated if it could run on one of as many penguins as possible, without dependencies but it's harder. Appreciated even more if configuration is painless and doesn't stick somebody to the terminal and/or with "root" permissions for a long time. GNU/Linux is supposed to be one operating system. The reality and perception is that this isn't the case. Arguments are going to be made about acquiring packages directly and installing them. But supporting only DEB, or RPM, or XBPS or whatever isn't good form for this "Phoenix Edition" project. Yesterday I took a look at the list of Arch Linux packages. There is one for "dot-rip" version, which has never been updated since its release. It's in the Arch Linux User's Repository (AUR). I think this project's page on Github should carry a disclaimer or recommendation that the latest releases should always be downloaded from their place, and not from anywhere else and not even a package with kewl-looking file suffix.
Hey I want a Linux distro that features QB64, everything built around that!
b = b + ...