Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Word (text) processor
I had found qXed and that was what I was referring to.

It seems to me that it has interesting potential that can be developed.
I did not know the other links but I must admit that I was surprised by their simplicity and for this reason they deserve just as much attention. Simple things are always the ones that work best.

I think a better solution would be to make qXed very simple. That would be a fair middle ground.
In fact, it seems to me that there is no complete procedure that can write a TXT text without too many space limits and with advanced editing functions: it would be useful!
Personally I'd just Shell into a default .txt file for user to use for text editor. You get all that function for nearly 0 effort!

You can even use that method for a data entry form!
b = b + ...
Shell "notepad.exe" 'PRESTO!  Text Editor.
(08-29-2023, 05:19 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: Shell "notepad.exe" 'PRESTO!  Text Editor.
True!
But do you want to put with the possibility of integrating an editor in your application?
It would also be safer than external tampering and without control by the application.

I understand that everything can not predict but perhaps a simple and minimal text processor could be done. After all, few features would suffice. I would use it, for example, to keep track of comments and events.
https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=826

This also deserves to be mentioned. I wish I could compile this for Linux and use it instead of Nano or Vim.
What a wonderful community: helpful and full of imagination!
Here it is like the top hat from which the magician always pulls out some rabbit suddenly! Such a very nice thing.

Basically there is only to do some changes to manage accents and special characters.
(08-29-2023, 05:45 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=826

This also deserves to be mentioned. I wish I could compile this for Linux and use it instead of Nano or Vim.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(08-29-2023, 06:00 PM)krovit Wrote: Basically there is only to do some changes to manage accents and special characters.

You're better off sticking with Libreoffice or other "big" word processor for that. Otherwise, Unicode is a real pain and it's not possible to save "plain" text files with it. The interpretation of "plain" text could vary, not necessarily Code Page 437 which is the default on QB64.

On Windows might have to do Win API for "Rich Text", for a GUI control that supports fonts, styles like underlining, colors and Unicode.

Vim might support Unicode on Linux, but saving a text file like that is going to include assumptions. Some terminals support UTF-8 which is one assumption. However, change the code page and the text could be ruined.

One compromise is to write a text editor like Word Perfect v5.1 which could highlight certain characters as Unicode. Then at the request of the user, do a WYSIWYG with Unicode in a graphics screen. Like that "s" with cedilla I see in a few Romanian and Turkish words, or the "double-accented o" in Hungarian. But writing like that is impractical for somebody that wants to use an Asian language with its own writing system.
Quote:You're better off sticking with Libreoffice or other "big" word processor for that. Otherwise, Unicode is a real pain and it's not possible to save "plain" text files with it. The interpretation of "plain" text could vary, not necessarily Code Page 437 which is the default on QB64.
Very true! True and it also seems strange: is it possible that there are no other systems?

With Code Page we could go crazy... fortunately in Italian (my language) accents and special characters are few and can be remedied.
It is also possible to resort to some linguistic compromises that are not too annoying.
(08-28-2023, 12:36 PM)SMcNeill Wrote:
(08-28-2023, 12:07 PM)grymmjack Wrote: I'd love to see a few examples of this!
Even without the limiter and prompt, this still gives you several word processing style extensions to the basic INPUT.  For example, arrow keys work, as does the ability to use ALT+ASCII values to directly enter characters via their ascii code (such as ALT-1 for the little smiley face icon dude), as well as the ability to paste code into the input with CTRL-V.

Thanks @SMcNeill this is awesome! Really appreciate the extra TLC on the examples provided.
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs