Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does this crash?
Why's it crash?

Simple answer:  You're running out of memory to store it all in, and getting a seg fault.  (Linux is fairly good at popping up a message that says, "Error -- segment fault at 123456", while Windows tends to just close and pretend it never ran such an uncouth program on its OS in its entire history!)

Complex break down of the problem:

Code: (Select All)
struct img_struct {
    void *lock_offset;
    int64 lock_id;
    uint8 valid;  // 0,1 0=invalid
    uint8 text;    // if set, surface is a text surface
    uint8 console; // dummy surface to absorb unimplemented console functionality
    uint16 width, height;
    uint8 bytes_per_pixel;  // 1,2,4
    uint8 bits_per_pixel;  // 1,2,4,8,16(text),32
    uint32 mask;            // 1,3,0xF,0xFF,0xFFFF,0xFFFFFFFF
    uint16 compatible_mode; // 0,1,2,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,32,256
    uint32 color, background_color, draw_color;
    uint32 font;              // 8,14,16,?
    int16 top_row, bottom_row; // VIEW PRINT settings, unique (as in QB) to each "page"
    int16 cursor_x, cursor_y;  // unique (as in QB) to each "page"
    uint8 cursor_show, cursor_firstvalue, cursor_lastvalue;
    union {
        uint8 *offset;
        uint32 *offset32;
    };
    uint32 flags;
    uint32 *pal;
    int32 transparent_color; //-1 means no color is transparent
    uint8 alpha_disabled;
    uint8 holding_cursor;
    uint8 print_mode;
    // BEGIN apm ('active page migration')
    // everything between apm points is migrated during active page changes
    // note: apm data is only relevent to graphics modes
    uint8 apm_p1;
    int32 view_x1, view_y1, view_x2, view_y2;
    int32 view_offset_x, view_offset_y;
    float x, y;
    uint8 clipping_or_scaling;
    float scaling_x, scaling_y, scaling_offset_x, scaling_offset_y;
    float window_x1, window_y1, window_x2, window_y2;
    double draw_ta;
    double draw_scale;
    uint8 apm_p2;
    // END apm
};
// img_struct flags
#    define IMG_FREEPAL 1 // free palette data before freeing image
#    define IMG_SCREEN 2  // img is linked to other screen pages
#    define IMG_FREEMEM 4 // if set, it means memory must be freed

The above is what an internal image type is stored and referenced as inside QB64.  Anyone want to add up all those bits and bytes and tell us what the total is?

Sure, you might only be making a screen which is only a single 4-byte memory, but there's all the *extra* info which has to be stored on that screen.  What's the font in use on it?  What's its handle?  How wide?  How tall?  What color palette does it use?  What scale does it render at?  Where's it appear in regards to the X/Y screen coordinates?  How many bytes does each pixel use in memory?  (2 for text screen, 1 for 256-colors, 4 for 32-bit screens.)

How many bytes of information is stored just to handle that image of ONE single pixel??

I dunno, but I'm guessing it's quite a few!!

And then we double that amount of memory used by making a _COPYIMAGE of that same image and tossing it into hardware memory.

So let's be conservative and say 1000 bytes of memory to hold each image structure.  Plus 1000 bytes for each hardware image structure.  Plus 4 bytes for each image data, plus 4 bytes for each hardware image data...

At 1028 pixels width, that's 2008 * 1028 that's over 2MB of memory requirement for each ROW of data.  (The x in the formula.)

Once you start going by Y as well, that multiples 2MB * row for total memory used.  Say Y = 100, that's now an internal usage of 200MB of memory.  And that's just a very conservative estimate of 1000 bytes overhead for each pixel.  If you look at our image type closely, you'll notice that several of those points of data are just OFFSETS to actual blocks of memory that are stored elsewhere.

So we're storing large amount of memory repetitively, with no real break for the OS to do its thing with.  Those aren't going to be written as continuous chunks of sequential memory; the OS is going to place them where it finds convenient open chunks of unused memory.  So let's say that Y crashes at around 50 on one run -- that's going to be 1028 * 50 =  51400 chunks of memory allocated on the fly...  Well, 51400 chunks of that one single image header, but there's also 51400 chunks for each of those offsets and 51400 chunks for each block of image data itself...

At what point does your OS run out of conveniently free chunks of memory??

Let's say I have 10 bytes of memory available for use.

0000000000  <-- My 10 bytes of free memory!

Now, let's say I write data in chunks of 3 bytes, allocated randomly and conveniently:

0011100000   <-- First write of memory.
0011101110   <-- Second write of memory.
<<<<<<<<<<-- Third time, we're not out of memory, but now there's not a single free 3-block of memory in usage!  We have to optimize our internal memory structure first before we can store that single chunk!
1111110000   <--  Internal memory process to reorganize and reindex our memory to free up space!
1111110111   <--  And then we can finally write that 3rd block of memory!

See how the process is working here, with memory getting shuffled left and right and reorganized back and forth behind the scenes, without you ever having to deal with any of it personally??

Now, visualize that happening with the hundreds of thousands of chunks of memory that I just talked about above to register each image!  How many writes is your OS trying to do concurrently?  How many shuffles?  How many chunks are being optimized and how many are being dumped on each pass of X?  How many reshuffles of memory are required??

A million chunks of memory, all of various sizes, suddenly created, allocated, and shuffled into position *somewhere* in your OSes internal brain...  All in the space of a few microseconds, with a million more chunks coming in the next microsecond, and then a million more, and a million more, and....

Eventually the OS just says, "PAH!!  I give up!  I'm dead!"

And that's when your program dies completely.

Now, WHY are we seeing "RANDOM" crashes and not one consistent point where an OS says, "I surrender!!"?

It all has to do with how many of those shuffles and optimizations and everything it has to do at once.  

Let's go back and look at those 10 bytes of memory, with data written in 3-byte chunks:

0011101110  <--  This is 2 bytes of data written randomly (Steve randomly so I can illustrate the point).  With only 2 writes, we have to perform optimization

0001111110  <--  Now, let's say this is how those 2 bytes ended up in memory when placed randomly.  We don't have to trigger that optimization shuffle to write the next chunk of data...

Sometimes things are going to shuffle and end up dying after 50 passes of Y.  (Which is 1028 passes of X, which is all that image header info and all those linked offsets, and a partridge in a pear tree additional...)

Other times, it might place itself so that it randomly doesn't run into issues until after 100 passes of Y.

It all depends on how tight that data gets packed, how much spacing it has between it, how many calls are made to optimize it, how large the free chunks are between it....  Yada yada yada!

IT'S COMPLICATED!!   Get it?  Tongue

Which brings us round circle to the simple explanation:

You ran out of memory.
Why do you need the image of a point? Just save the color. Why save the color it's there in the image!
b = b + ...
(09-19-2023, 12:42 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: Why's it crash?

Simple answer:  You're running out of memory to store it all in, and getting a seg fault.  (Linux is fairly good at popping up a message that says, "Error -- segment fault at 123456", while Windows tends to just close and pretend it never ran such an uncouth program on its OS in its entire history!)
You should read my comment, that's actually not his problem Tongue When I applied a workaround for the issue the program works and "only" uses around 400MB of memory (a lot, but not enough to run out).
@DSMan195276 I'm willing to bet that you can't set a buffer high enough to hold all that information. There's a lot of overhead with each image in QB64 and with 1280 * that overhead with each row of data (the images are being created at only a single pixel is size), that's just a crapload of raw basic memory to allocate and shuffle around.

1280 * 720 is close to a million images. Doubled so you can duplicate that information on a hardware image, With each image having 1000 byte header attached to track and reference them, we're talking multiple GBs of information to store and process for the OS.

On 32-bit systems, I'm certain it'd be impossible.

On 64-bit systems, it might work, but I'd honestly bet against it. If it does work, it's probably not going to work as expected, as the sheer mass of information being written and stored is going to consume such a chunk of memory, your OS is going to be spending more time in memory shuffling and management that it is reading and writing that data nicely for you.
(09-19-2023, 12:47 AM)DSMan195276 Wrote:
(09-19-2023, 12:42 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: Why's it crash?

You should read my comment, that's actually not his problem Tongue When I applied a workaround for the issue the program works and "only" uses around 400MB of memory (a lot, but not enough to run out).

Try that with a 256 color image, where you also have to store 256 color values in each palette...  It might work in this one particular instance, but I wouldn't call it something reliable that you'd be able to say would fix the problem with any certainty.   Tongue
@TerryRitchie I created a GitHub issue for the problem here. Having looked a bit closer, it seems like you should be able to avoid the issue if you turn off the `_AutoDisplay` functionality before you create your images. I get mixed results when testing locally, but it does seem to help. You would turn it off by doing a manual `_Display` call, something like this:

Code: (Select All)
_SOURCE Picture
_Display ' Turn off auto display
FOR y = 0 TO 719
    FOR x = 0 TO 1279
        Pixel(x, y).soft = _NEWIMAGE(1, 1, 32)
        _DEST Pixel(x, y).soft
        PSET (0, 0), POINT(x, y)
        Pixel(x, y).hard = _COPYIMAGE(Pixel(x, y).soft, 33)
        Pixel(x, y).ox = x
        Pixel(x, y).oy = y

_DEST 0 '                                        temporarily print values to figure
        PRINT x, y, Pixel(x, y).soft, Pixel(x, y).hard '  out why this crashes

NEXT x
    _Display ' Obviously you can leave this out if you don't want to see anything during the loop
NEXT y
_AutoDisplay ' turn it back on
Thanks for all the insights guys. This seems to only occur with software images. I can create 921,600 hardware images with no problem. I had a feeling it might have been a bug messing with me here. @DSMan195276 I'll play around with the _DISPLAY/_AUTODISPLAY workaround you mentioned as well.

@Bplus - I'm creating a demo that uses every pixel on the screen as a hardware vs software image to show the difference in speed between the two. I agree storing the pixel color would be the preferred method for something like this. I'm simply trying to come up with something that really taxes the heck out of QB64 to show the difference.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
Ok, here is the effect I was going for.

A picture is decomposed into individual squares then rebuilt into the original picture.

- Press a key to begin chaos
- Press a key to restore order
- Press ESC at any time to exit

I originally wanted to perform this effect with each pixel as a separate hardware image. But, 20x20 squares looks pretty impressive too.

The ZIP below contains both a hardware and software version of the program so you can see the difference in FPS each achieves. The picture is also included in the ZIP file.

Attached Files Image(s)

.zip   Order_Chaos.zip (Size: 1.81 MB / Downloads: 22)
QB64 Tutorial
(09-19-2023, 03:22 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: Thanks for all the insights guys. This seems to only occur with software images. I can create 921,600 hardware images with no problem. I had a feeling it might have been a bug messing with me here. @DSMan195276 I'll play around with the _DISPLAY/_AUTODISPLAY workaround you mentioned as well.

@Bplus - I'm creating a demo that uses every pixel on the screen as a hardware vs software image to show the difference in speed between the two. I agree storing the pixel color would be the preferred method for something like this. I'm simply trying to come up with something that really taxes the heck out of QB64 to show the difference.

Update: Ha! I tagged myself with the above quote.
Update 2: Ha! I tagged myself again when I edited this reply.

Thanks for restoring my faith in your sanity Smile
(Did not really lose faith but I wondered what you were up to.)

BTW that is quite a nice computer generated image! Wow, who put that together?
b = b + ...
(09-20-2023, 10:09 AM)bplus Wrote:
(09-19-2023, 03:22 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: Thanks for all the insights guys. This seems to only occur with software images. I can create 921,600 hardware images with no problem. I had a feeling it might have been a bug messing with me here. @DSMan195276 I'll play around with the _DISPLAY/_AUTODISPLAY workaround you mentioned as well.

Update: Ha! I tagged myself with the above quote.
Update 2: Ha! I tagged myself again when I edited this reply.

Thanks for restoring my faith in your sanity Smile
(Did not really lose faith but I wondered what you were up to.)

BTW that is quite a nice computer generated image! Wow, who put that together?
I have no idea who created the image but it was offered here for free:

https://hdqwalls.com/wallpaper/1280x720/...-sunset-5k

BTW, did Order and Chaos run on your computer ok? What were your frame rates?
QB64 Tutorial