Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Serious Game in QB64PE
Here's my arcade game, Rock Jockey. Please give it a go and tell me if it's too hard or easy or buggy. I'm a Mac user, but found a PC to test it on and, after a bunch of changes, it seems to run just fine. It started out as a redo of an old Asteroids game I wrote a few years ago, but then took on a life of its own. Have fun with it!

Ted the Naked Ape

Attached Files
.zip   rockJockey.zip (Size: 15.83 MB / Downloads: 100)
+1 magnificent! worked straight from extraction even with all those assets, very good instructions.

looks like it was put together by expert Smile
b = b + ...
Wow, thanks, bplus! I’m working on a second level for it. Stay tuned.  Smile
@NakedApe This game is awesome! Well done!

I managed to scan an rock.

Somehow I managed to evade the asteroids!

Somehow I managed to evade the rocks!

But then when gravity is detected, I don't know how to drop the rock on the rock drop zone.

This is sweet work, well done!

Good polish and sound effects and stuff!

Excellent mouse responsiveness/handling. Really great work.
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
@grymmjack, thank you very much for the positive feedback! I'm encouraged to keep going with the next level.

I guess I should rename the "Rock Drop" since nothing is actually dropped. When gravity kicks in you need to LAND the ship in the drop zone and then you'll be prompted to release the rock and charge the ship. There are still two more chapters in the game you haven't reached yet, so keep going!  Big Grin  I'm really glad you like it.
I feel like I'm going to be a fool here, but I'm using MacOS, and when extracting that archive it seems to be just media resources for a game. No instructions, no source code, not even a Windows executable, and the closest thing to text is a TTF font file. What's wrong here? I may have luck seeing what's missing Win11 ARM VM, but that's odd behavior.
(06-22-2024, 04:28 PM)vividpixel Wrote: I feel like I'm going to be a fool here, but I'm using MacOS, and when extracting that archive it seems to be just media resources for a game. No instructions, no source code, not even a Windows executable, and the closest thing to text is a TTF font file. What's wrong here? I may have luck seeing what's missing Win11 ARM VM, but that's odd behavior.

Compile the rockjockey.bas file included in the zip file above. I'm going to try it now too.

Since I've never played a game of this type before, I'm amazed. The idea and the game itself is beautifully executed, it's sophisticated and perfect for relaxing. I crashed the ship before landing, so going to try it again. Nicely done, nice game.

(06-22-2024, 04:28 PM)vividpixel Wrote: I feel like I'm going to be a fool here, but I'm using MacOS, and when extracting that archive it seems to be just media resources for a game. No instructions, no source code, not even a Windows executable, and the closest thing to text is a TTF font file. What's wrong here? I may have luck seeing what's missing Win11 ARM VM, but that's odd behavior.

there is a .bas in all those assets from which to compile the executabe with your qb64pe version. the instructions are played from help menu at start of program.

btw not sure how macos handles zip files, i doubt it would leave out the .bas file.

(06-22-2024, 05:34 PM)Petr Wrote: Since I've never played a game of this type before, I'm amazed. The idea and the game itself is beautifully executed, it's sophisticated and perfect for relaxing. I crashed the ship before landing, so going to try it again. Nicely done, nice game.

yeah i was pleasantly surprised it wasn't just another astroids clone.
b = b + ...
Thanks, Petr! I’m very psyched you like it, and bplus, thanks again. 

Yes, the rockJocky.bas file is in the zip file. You just have to wade through all those wacky sound files to find it. This forum is such cool, supportive place.  Smile

Petr, if you get past the landing sequence, the game gets a lot less peaceful fast. Hope it doesn’t harsh your mood. Wink  There’s also a wee puzzle after that before you get back to the beginning rock harvesting screen. If anyone makes it all the way around the game, lemme know. I might have to make it a little easier.

Also Settings and Instructions are available throughout (most) of the game. Just hit the escape key for the popUp.