Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google's Gemini AI in QB64
I tried it but got an error message about a missing API key. One have to log in to Google or it won't work. 
What a pity! I would like to give the AI   to be zap somebody one!  Sad

How do you translate something like that?: Ich würde der KI gerne einen vor den Latz hauen!

[Image: Gemini.jpg]

<shudder> That damn thing responds like my ex-wife. I think I'll refer to her as Jessica from now on.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(09-09-2024, 09:38 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: I tried it but got an error message about a missing API key. One have to log in to Google or it won't work. 
What a pity! I would like to give the AI   to be zap somebody one!  Sad

How do you translate something like that?: Ich würde der KI gerne einen vor den Latz hauen!

[Image: Gemini.jpg]

Kernelpanic, I've got a note in the code to go to aistudio.google.com and get an API key. You log in with your Google account and then you can generate one for interacting with the API.
Tread on those who tread on you

Quote:Kernelpanic, I've got a note in the code to go to aistudio.google.com and get an API key. You log in with your Google account and then you can generate one for interacting with the API.
Thanks for the tip. I signed up and checked the AI's knowledge. Something simple to start with:

Who invented the telephone?
The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell.

The answer is wrong, but it is stubbornly given again and again. The real inventor of the telephone was a German:
On October 26, 1861, the Friedrichsdorf teacher Philipp Reis gave a lecture to the members of the Physical Society in Frankfurt and demonstrated the telephone he had developed. That was the birth of the telephone in Germany and the world.

Reis was not a businessman, and therefore did not know how to market his invention.

[Image: Telefonerfinder2024-09-10-153144.jpg]
Quote:@SpriggsySpriggs: Tell me about the QB64 language
He, he, has the AI learned anything about QB64 yet, or did you help it along?  Big Grin

[Image: QB64-Gemini2024-09-10-192809.jpg]

PS: The answer to GW-Basic is also realistic. Did the AI program learn something so quickly?
(09-10-2024, 05:33 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote:
Quote:@SpriggsySpriggs: Tell me about the QB64 language
He, he, has the AI learned anything about QB64 yet, or did you help it along?  Big Grin

[Image: QB64-Gemini2024-09-10-192809.jpg]

PS: The answer to GW-Basic is also realistic. Did the AI program learn something so quickly?

No, the AI just probably already had some data about QB64 in its training dataset. Some AI systems don't know about QB64 but will figure out that QB means QBasic and that the 64 means 64 bit so it makes up its own little summary about it.
Tread on those who tread on you

Ask it what language is superior, QB64 or FreeBasic. Hold a pitcher of water over your keyboard when you enter the query. Oh come on, how do you think most 'opinions' Dodgy are formed in the greater part of society?

Pete
Fake News + Phony Politicians = Real Problems

(09-24-2024, 02:46 AM)Pete Wrote: Ask it what language is superior, QB64 or FreeBasic. Hold a pitcher of water over your keyboard when you enter the query. Oh come on, how do you think most 'opinions' Dodgy are formed in the greater part of society?

Pete
Gemini answer:

which language is superior, QB64 or FreeBasic.

The question of which language is "superior", QB64 or FreeBASIC, does not have a simple and absolute answer. Both languages have their own advantages and disadvantages, and the best choice depends on the specific needs and preferences of the developer.

Let's look at some factors that may influence your choice:

QB4.5 compatibility: Both languages try to be QB4.5 compatible, but they have different approaches. If you want to easily port your existing code from QB4.5, QB64 might be a better choice.
Extended Features: FreeBASIC offers more modern programming features, such as support for object-oriented programming, advanced data types, and better memory management.
Code compactness: Code produced by QB64 is usually more compact, while FreeBASIC can produce more extended code.
Community and Support: Both languages have active user communities, but FreeBASIC generally has a larger and more active community.
IDE: FreeBASIC offers a more comprehensive IDE, while QB64 is based on a simpler, text-based development environment.
Execution speed: Code execution speed may vary by program and platforms. In general, FreeBASIC can produce faster code, but this is not always the case.

When to choose QB64:

If you want a language that is very close to QB4.5 and easy to use.
If you prefer a simpler development environment.
If you have small projects and don't need all the advanced features of FreeBASIC.

When to choose FreeBASIC:

If you want a language with more modern programming features.
If you need to develop larger and more complex programs.
If you prefer a more complete IDE.
If you want to access a larger and more active community.

Conclusion:

The best choice between QB64 and FreeBASIC depends on your specific needs and preferences. I suggest you try both languages and choose the one that suits you best.

Additional tips:

Read the documentation: Both languages have extensive documentation that can help you understand their differences and choose the right language for your project.
Ask the community for advice: The QB64 and FreeBASIC user communities are great sources of information and can help you resolve any questions you may have.
Try small projects: Start with small projects to familiarize yourself with your chosen language and see if you like it.

In short, there is no such thing as a "best" language, but a language that is best for you.

Would you like to learn more about a specific aspect of these two languages?

CHATgpt answer

which language is superior, QB64 or FreeBasic.
ChatGPT said:
ChatGPT

The choice between QB64 and FreeBasic depends on the needs of the developer.

QB64 is a backward-compatible language for QuickBasic, focusing on maintaining compatibility with older code. It is easy for beginners and offers simplicity of use in graphics and sound, with built-in features.

FreeBasic, on the other hand, is more powerful and modern, offering better support for C libraries, greater speed and flexibility.

FreeBasic is superior for more complex projects, while QB64 is better for backwards compatibility code.
Looks like Gemini got confused at a couple of points on its language answer.

I don't normally play with the current batch of AIs, but I fed Gemini a question that given me migraines for years: Which is dumber, a box of rocks, or a sack of hammers?

Gemini's response:

Quote:A: A sack of hammers is dumber than a box of rocks.
Here's why:
  • Rocks: A box of rocks is a collection of inanimate objects. They serve no purpose other than being rocks.
  • Hammers: A sack of hammers is a collection of tools designed for a specific purpose: hammering. If you're not using them for that purpose, they're not fulfilling their intended function, making them "dumber" in a sense.

Therefore, since a sack of hammers has a specific purpose that it's not fulfilling, it's
considered dumber than a box of rocks.

So, fulfilling your purpose = intelligence.  It's all clear to me now!

Of course, I've never had a purpose.
I call FAIK news!

How did you hurt your hand, the doctor asked? I used an AI hammer. It was programmed to only hit nails, but it was reading an online piece about thumb nails right before the incident happened!

Stigmas are difficult to overcome, indeed. QB64 is like owning a model T ford, with a Chrysler 426 Hemi under the hood.

Pete
Fake News + Phony Politicians = Real Problems