Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VM with Linux install
well... right-clicking on the setup_lnx.sh file in the GUI and modifying the properties would have been much quicker, but then, you would not have enjoyed the experience of The Terminal.... Moo Ha Ha...

Glad to see that you are up and running... Wink
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
Richard,

Just checking to see if you are still ok using Mint? May I ask, what VM are you using?

J
(06-14-2022, 07:37 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Richard,

Just checking to see if you are still ok using Mint? May I ask, what VM are you using?

J

Have not tried anything in VM Linux since my last reply - still trying to "get used to" simultaneously working with both VM and Linux (both are new to me).

On all screen shots I have supplied, the VM is indicated on top row (my VM is Oracle VirtualBox).

Working with VM for the first time is interesting - so far all the google results on "how to" show completely different screens to my present (latest version) - which makes it very hard (slowly working out for myself). So with Oracle (my VM) for VM Windows 10 I use Oracle "Devices" to set up connection to a USB stick - but IF I am in VM Linux, I can only set up USB stick inside VM Linux Devices (not Oracle VM Devices). Also I must remember/discover when and where which USB speed is allowed (in VM) - for instance VM Windows 10 allows both USB 3 and USB 2 - but VM Windows 7 does not allow USB 3 (have not investigated whether VM Linux likes USB 3, it does work with USB 2 devices). I would like to use SATA and PCIe in VM (but so far I don't think I can). So, for me, knowing the limits of Oracle VM is important to getting the best out of VM Linux.

As far as VM Linux goes - am I expected to "know in advance" which libraries/dependancies... etc I will need for say with QB64 - or is everything automatically downloaded for me?

At least working with VM is "safe" - not like my attempt a long time ago to dual boot Linux (on hard drive) on a machine with Windows 10 already installed (which crashed my computer big time - and took me 2 weeks to restore Windows 10 and be able to use computer again).
Don't you just love learning curves? Nah. Not me! I started out using Linux in 2005 (Ubuntu 5.10 - "Breezy Badger" I think...) using an installation CD that came with a PC magazine... Shortly after, I read about "Dual Booting", with Windows. Installation and Dual booting back then was no where near as simple as it is today... Oh the number of times I had to format and re-format a hard drive because I bungled the Dual Boot. Back then the operating systems were on CD. Dial up internet would take several days to download windows XP... I almost gave up until I found out someone else had the same problem and they had made a tutorial on how to do it. From install to dual boot... Step by step... Followed the process outlined. Everything worked without a hitch. Format: Install Ubuntu 5.10: Dual boot with Windows XP: Ran like clockwork. When the PC started I was presented with a small menu consisting of a choice of the two operating systems. I think the menu was also configured to boot to a "default" system if not selected... In 2012 I switch to Linux Mint 13.04 and have been using it to this day (LM 20.3)... Anyway... Enough of the history lesson...

I hope that you enjoy using Linux. The two main points that I have learned about Linux. 1. It is NOT windows. Do not try to make it work like windows... 2. Think long and hard before deciding to permanently switch to Linux. Like Windows, Linux will take some getting used to, but the benefits of using Open Source software is too good to pass up...

For you, at this time, stick to VM. Have fun using Linux. When you think you are ready, assuming you have a spare laptop (or PC), use that machine as a 'tester'... and learn to "fly solo"...

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong... lol  All the best!
(06-15-2022, 03:17 AM)johnno56 Wrote: The two main points that I have learned about Linux. 1. It is NOT windows. Do not try to make it work like windows... 

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong... lol  All the best!

So, having fun (sort of)...

Question. In Linux, How to create a RAMdrive. This has nothing to do with me allocating 8 Gbyte RAM for VM Linux. I was considering having say 1 GB RAM drive. In Windows I can use ImDisk, and various tools in DOS can create RAMDisk - but for LINUX ???
https://linuxhint.com/create-ramdisk-linux/
Richard,

Until you asked, I was not aware, that ram disks could be created within Linux. "Coolman" seems to have a handle on this one... Let me know how it works out?

J