Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your best and worst coding traits?
Arrow Worst trait: trying to do the same simple thing in 100 different programming languages and 100 different BASIC "dialects". When I already have QB64PE, Freebasic and Lua, I look into Racket or something else. But it really interested me since I found out about it this year! And I don't want to "originally" LISP. Wanting to program games with that Lua-love thing but not getting around to finding the documentation. I downloaded and compiled a game for Linux called "Me and My Shadow" which reminded me how complex things could get, although it might not be harder than Terry's efforts.

Best coding trait from me? There isn't any. Maybe one of you surmises I've been posting on this forum too much!
Best trait: Perfectionism regarding the final product.  I usually aim to crank out the tightest, fastest code that I can.

Worst traits:
  • Premature optimization, which can add to debugging headaches and delay the first successful run.  (see "best trait" above.  "Premature optimization is the root of all evil (or at least most of it) in programming." --Donald Knuth)
  • Stalling the start of a major project by over-thinking it and trying to figure out the entire program before I start typing.  Once I've solved the major issues and have an idea how the program will look, the project becomes mainly a matter of typing and debugging.  I lose interest and I shelve it, sometimes forever.