Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition 3.4.1 Released
I was crazy enough to waste two hours downloading an 8GB ISO, that of Rocky Linux, which is based on RHEL. Choose "workstation" mode in the installer, of course.

The "setup_lnx.sh" script seems to goof it up. It detects the distro family correctly but seems to have done nothing. Otherwise I had to pick up the package install command line from the script. Otherwise no problems with QB64PE. Just for information.
Nice work, folks!
This is an example of a "dot-desktop" file, in case it doesn't work for you on Linux.

Just use any text file and take care to save with "Unix/Linux" line endings ("LF" only, not "CRLF"). Take the liberty to change "(user)" to your handle for logging in, and "(pathto)" to the directory inside your home directory where QB64PE is installed. This is not for people who install to "/opt". It could be done with "/home/(user)/bin", like I have just discovered on Bunsen Labs Beryllium (Debian-based).

I've decided to go for full paths. It could work with "environment variables" like "$HOME". "Here strings" could be a pain to get right in Bash script programming. But "setup_lnx.sh" might not create this "dot-desktop" file properly. After I installed QB64PE the last time, I found the "ICON" entry with only two forward slashes which is the reason why I'm making this post in the first place. Smile

It could depend on the application menu's decision to display category of "Development" or "Programming". It could be changed to "Accessories" if the menu can't be customized and the option refuses to display. Otherwise could refresh the desktop by pressing [F5] or [CTRL][R], or log out and then back in.

The PNG file for the program icon is more reliable than the ICO.

This file should be called, in its entirety:

/home/(user)/.local/share/applications/qb64pe.desktop

Code: (Select All)
[Desktop Entry]
Name=QB64-PE Programming IDE
GenericName=QB64-PE Programming IDE
Exec=/home/(user)/(pathto)/qb64pe/run_qb64pe.sh
Icon=/home/(user)/(pathto)/qb64pe/source/qb64pe.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Development;Programming;
Path=/home/(user)/(pathto)/qb64pe