Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.6.0 Released!
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.6.0!

https://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/...tag/v3.6.0

Enhancements
  • #286 - Added support for opening image from memory using _LOADIMAGE() - @a740g, @mkilgore
    • _LOADIMAGE() has a new optional requirements$ argument, similar to the string argument to _SNDOPEN():
      • _LOADIMAGE(fileName$[, [mode&][, requirements$]])
    • Providing "memory" in the requirements will cause _LOADIMAGE() to treat the contents of the fileName$ argument as an image file itself, rather than attempting to open a file.
Bug Fixes
  • #287, #296 - Fixed building QB64-PE on MacOS High Sierra - @mkilgore
  • #288 - Add missing keywords to syntax highlighter - @SteveMcNeill
  • #273, #295 - Timers will no longer take twice as long at program start - @mkilgore
  • #293, #295 - A stopped timer will now correctly run when turned on if it expired while stopped - @mkilgore
  • #294, #295 - On Windows, timers will now correctly trigger during SLEEP in $Console programs - @mkilgore
  • #298, #300, #302, #308 - Several improvements to the IDE Wiki - @RhoSigma-QB64
    • Improved handling of HTML Entity and UTF-8 characters used in the Wiki.
    • Fully implemented local links. The help page navigation in the IDE is now practically the same as in the real Wiki.
  • #301, #307 - Fix using DECLARE LIBRARY with a stripped .so file - @mkilgore
  • #297, #306 - The -o flag will no longer strip the extension from the executable name - @mkilgore
    • The extension .exe will still be removed when compiling on non-Windows platforms.

Full Changelog: v3.5.0...v3.6.0
go team Steve!
When you get some time please code a quick example on how to use the new _LOADIMAGE argument. Very curious. Thank you for keeping the changes/fixes coming.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(02-20-2023, 05:47 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: When you get some time please code a quick example on how to use the new _LOADIMAGE argument. Very curious. Thank you for keeping the changes/fixes coming.

Sorry! I should have linked to the Wiki, it includes more information and has an example at the end: https://qb64phoenix.com/qb64wiki/index.php/LOADIMAGE

In my view this feature is very useful when paired with the HTTP support from v3.5.0, you can download an image file into a String and then pass that String directly to `_LOADIMAGE()` to open it. That lets you avoid having to write the image to a file first.
Smile 
Well done as usual! I didn't expect a whole release bump, maybe a v3.5.1.
(02-20-2023, 07:11 AM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: Well done as usual! I didn't expect a whole release bump, maybe a v3.5.1.

X.Y.Z <-- our numbers

X = *MAJOR CHANGE*.   We ripped out glut for glfw, or openGL for Vulcan, or such major upheaval.

Y = *NEW FEATURE*.  The GUI Dialogs, or change to load images from memory.

Z = *BUG FIXES*.  Nothing new.  Just maintaince and bug fixes.
quick secret to smooth out transition to new version.

1. Rename old qb64pe to qb64pe-org.  Keep intack older version.
2. Using special compiler option.  Write them down to use in new version of qb64pe. Change compiler options in the new qb64pe.
3. Copy any special includes like "bi, .h, .dll and you may have others" to the new qb64pe.
4. Copy any special sub-directories to the new qb64pe.

Now you are ready for the best part.  Instead of recompiling by hand.  Create a "cmd" aka bat file as such.

5. Capture a list of all exe's.  using a command prompt x:\qb64pe>"dir /b *.exe > comp.cmd" x: is wherever qb64pe is.
6. edit "comp.cmd"
7. Remove qb64pe.exe from the list.  No need to recompile.
8. Add to each line in front of all lines x:\qb64pe\qb64pe.exe -c "x:\qb64pe\My Programs\    Then change .exe to .bas and add a quote to the end of the line.  It will look like this:

x:\qb64pe\qb64pe.exe -c "x:\qb64pe\My Programs\program to compile.bas"

some notes:
x: is wherever qb64pe is.
The Quotes are important where they are.  Spaces are delimiters, unless quoted.  This is very, very, very important.
My Programs is where I have programs.  Your location maybe different.  Change as needed.

9.  You are ready now.  Startup a command prompt, change to qb64pe.  Execute "comp.cmd"
10. Watch for errors.  If the original files compiled you should not get any errors.

Later on when you are happy with the new version the "-org" version can be just deleted.  Unless you want to archive it.

edit: This has given me an idea of a program to write.  Turns out good I will post.
(02-20-2023, 07:54 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: OpenGL for Vulcan, or such major upheaval.

What is Vulcan, except a planet in "Star Trek" ?

I could not fathom how to search that one in Google.  Without a deluge of ST references.
(02-20-2023, 06:07 AM)DSMan195276 Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 05:47 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: When you get some time please code a quick example on how to use the new _LOADIMAGE argument. Very curious. Thank you for keeping the changes/fixes coming.

Sorry! I should have linked to the Wiki, it includes more information and has an example at the end: https://qb64phoenix.com/qb64wiki/index.php/LOADIMAGE

In my view this feature is very useful when paired with the HTTP support from v3.5.0, you can download an image file into a String and then pass that String directly to `_LOADIMAGE()` to open it. That lets you avoid having to write the image to a file first.

Ah, ok, I see. One could embed an entire sprite sheet within the code using this technique and then parse the individual sprites without ever having to access a drive.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(02-20-2023, 04:19 PM)doppler Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 07:54 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: OpenGL for Vulcan, or such major upheaval.

What is Vulcan, except a planet in "Star Trek" ?

I could not fathom how to search that one in Google.  Without a deluge of ST references.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan