Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goblin's Gold Board Game
This is my take on the abstract strategy board game, Goblin's Gold. I have included a description of the game and how it's played.

Hope you enjoy playing.

Donald

Goblin's Gold is a 2 to 4 player abstract strategy board game with some luck and memory.
The object of the game is to get the Wizard back to your corner of the board first.
The Wizard is placed in the center of a maze that has invisible walls. Each player, in turn, maneuvers the Wizard through the maze one step at a time. Once a player encounters a wall, that wall will appear and play goes to the next player trying to maneuver the Wizard back to their corner from that position on the maze.
Paying attention to and remembering the moves of the other players can help you guide the Wizard back through a good known path. Or you can adventure out and try a shortcut to your corner of the board.
For each move on the board, a circle will appear on the board indicating a space where the Wizard can be attempted to moved to.
Game Controls:
Keyboard to choose the number of players and pressing <ENTER>.
Keyboard to choose Y or N to play game again when has ended and press <ENTER>.
Left Mouse Button to choose space on the board to move Wizard to.

.bas   Goblin's Gold.bas (Size: 12.76 KB / Downloads: 46)

[Image: Goblins-gold.webp]

[Image: Goblins-Gold-Screenshot.png]
Hello All,

I wanted to mention, sometimes it takes several mouse clicks before the game will respond to that board position. If someone can figure out what is causing this to happen, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
I forgot to mention under Game Controls, pressing <ESC> during game play will alternate between window and full screen modes as I use this feature in most of my games.

Donald
Thumbs Up 
Hi Donald, good to see from you again!
Quote:I wanted to mention, sometimes it takes several mouse clicks before the game will respond to that board position. If someone can figure out what is causing this to happen, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Try this code substitution for same section of code:
Code: (Select All)
GetMoveInput:
Do While _MouseInput: Loop  ' this is proper way to poll the mouse don't put stuff inside this loop except to get _Mousewheel
For Z = 0 To 20
    For Y = 0 To 20
        If _MouseX > BoardX(Z, Y) - 19 And _MouseX < BoardX(Z, Y) + 19 And _MouseY > BoardY(Z, Y) - 19 And _MouseY < BoardY(Z, Y) Then selected = 1 Else selected = 0
        If _MouseButton(1) = -1 And selected And Playable(Z, Y) Then _Delay .25: GoTo CheckWizzardMove ' delay should be enough time for player to release button
    Next
Next

A$ = InKey$: If A$ <> "" Then If Asc(A$) = 27 And FullScreen = 0 Then FullScreen = -1: _FullScreen _SquarePixels , _Smooth Else If Asc(A$) = 27 Then FullScreen = 0: _FullScreen _Off
GoTo GetMoveInput

Besides the Mouse Polling that looks like nicely written game <300 LOC no assets needed!
b = b + ...
Thank you very much for the help bplus. It seems to have an improvement, thanks. I'm uploading a Youtube video that shows how the game is put together to set up the invisible walls, they are not placed completely random. There is a pattern to it. Also talks about the rules and a review of the game. Very interesting video.

Donald

@Donald Foster

Great video, never heard of the game before.

Do you simulate the "maze" making of shuffling those nine panels?

Also still not happy with mouse click response, it may be I am expecting unrealistic responses. I will dig into this some more.
b = b + ...
Hi bplus, 
No, I haven't made any shifting puzzle games yet. It shouldn't be too complicated. But, in order for it to look fairly good, I would need to cut up a photo in to 9 pieces and load them into the game. I usually hand draw my own graphic images, but I'm sure, with practice, I could work with images.

I don't have a problem with mouse input with any of my other games, just this one. Maybe it's a fluke?

Donald