Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BAM: I'm setting up alternative character sets
Details in this post at the RetroCoders Community
(05-13-2023, 04:27 PM)CharlieJV Wrote: Details in this post at the RetroCoders Community

Neat, I like that _LETCHR$ command.
(05-20-2023, 09:17 PM)James D Jarvis Wrote:
(05-13-2023, 04:27 PM)CharlieJV Wrote: Details in this post at the RetroCoders Community

Neat, I like that _LETCHR$ command.

Thanks for checking that out.

Yeah, I've got a funny little fascination with character-based graphics, and I like the idea that anybody can easily setup some custom characters for their programs.
And a character editor in the works:

(I'm kind of cheating here using TiddlyWiki script and widgets, but hey: took me all of 30 minutes, so woohoo I say.)

Alternative ASCII character sets and alternative extended character sets:

My first home computer was a TI-994a and the character set was editable in that, a feature I've always enjoyed.
Somewhat related: editing stand-alone characters.

I've got a test version of BASIC Anywhere Machine here.

I've got some related notes for the upcoming release here.

My release notes need to be updated to reflect work I've done tonight.

Focus of my work tonight is to setup a vanilla "manager" for creation of custom characters.

2 screenshot:  the Tools Menu with the new "Custom Characters" menu item added, and a multi-window screenshot displaying the Custom Characters Manager and several characters being simultaneously edited.

(05-22-2023, 02:00 PM)James D Jarvis Wrote: My first home computer was a TI-994a and the character set was editable in that, a feature I've always enjoyed.

"My first home computer" stories are awesome.

First computer in the 70's and 80's, I don't know if it is possible to have warm fuzzies for technology after that.

I don't think I'd get warm fuzzies from "my first smartphone was a ..." stories.  Meh.
"My first PC was...."

(pauses, hears audience snoring and crickets chirping)
Atari BASIC offered this feature, as well. I wonder why the QB developers didn't bother?

Pete