Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.8.0 Released!
(06-14-2023, 08:19 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: As usual: Excellent work! And all for the fun of it! - Hey, at MS would they you with the greatest pleasure.

My dream is  Rolleyes : VisualBasic 6...(without the Net crap) with QB64. Then Basic would be at the top again, because there are many problems in business practice where Basic is better - simpler, but the result is right. That's the most important!

And now I'm going to watch a good old movie  Tongue : Forbidden Planet

I loved VB6 back in the day. I made some really fun stuff with it.

Did you see InformPE? Check it out! @a740g and @fellipe (I'm sorry I don't know if he's a user here, and I have no desire to look for the name because: lazy). made it.

You can do neato things like VB6 could!

[Image: a740g-Play-FX.png]
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
(06-15-2023, 01:29 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: People would still program in assembly language, COBOL, FORTRAN, LISP, Perl and Python because there is a lot of pride about it and because there are millions of U.S.A. dollars consumed by code that has been maintained for decades. There is much less such code for BASIC than for those other languages. BASIC would have had to be in LISP's place in existence and would have had to become pervasive after 10 years to have a chance of a BASIC utopia.
I have programmed in ASM this year. It's not a standard thing, but for C=64 and APPLE2 Smile

BASIC is mentioned right at the beginning. Thought this was worth sharing. The poster doesn't even know about the microcosms of tribes that still exist writing and making great things with BASIC sub-dialects (yet). I've subscribed and will share some QB64 stuff with them. This channel is fantastic, btw.

Check out this great video I found on the Programming Iceberg !
grymmjack (gj!)
(06-15-2023, 03:24 PM)bplus Wrote: Could someone explain how the new version ties in with [ qb = export ]  ?

Will we be able to run QB64pe v 3.8 code in a code window like we can with [ qbjs ] ?

So, the short answer: "sort of" (and maybe @dbox already saw and replied to this - I'm catching up on the weekend, coffee at the ready!)

QBJS uses Javascript in the browser and many great HTML5 things like Canvas, etc.

QBJS is striving to achieve broad compatibility with QBasic, QuickBasic, QB64, and adding it's own stuff (much like QB64PE has been improving QB64) too.

The QB64* (*=regular, and PE) projects are completely separate from QBJS.

We cannot have a qb64pe 3.8.x embed like we can with QBJS because they are separate projects.

However, QBJS is opensource, and @dbox and others have put work in to documentation and project management of it's evolution so if you are interested,  you should sign up and start helping.

Then the answer could be: "(Has bplus implemented the keywords in QBJS that he wants to use in the QB64pe forum?): yes, qbjs will work"

Smile

@dbox has created the way, and the path is there to walk with your peers and friends!

See you on the qbjs github project soon, @bplus!

Here is a list of keywords that need to be added, etc.

And here is the list of keywords you can use in qbjs.

@bplus Javascript isn't that much different than any other programming language, and we could show you how to do stuff to contribute.
grymmjack (gj!)
(06-15-2023, 05:41 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote:
Code: (Select All)
PRINT "Hello I am Minerva."
PRINT "I come from a code window."
PRINT "But I can't help where my nose is LOL."
PRINT "    --"
PRINT "  /    \"
PRINT " |0    0|"
PRINT " |  v  |"
PRINT " |(====)|"
PRINT " \______/"
PRINT "=========="

I just did this after upgrading QB64PE from v3.7 to v3.8 on Manjaro Linux KDE, which has "native" installed Firefox v114. While I was whining a few posts ago I was on Spiral KDE which cannot have that late a version of Firefox if not with AppImage. Need to upgrade the base from Debian "Bullseye" to "Bookworm" which is the stable which changed 10-June!

The "Export As" was greyed out in v3.7, that's why I had to do it like that. Otherwise load in the code then choose File -> Export As -> Forum Codebox (to Clipboard). Then the QB64 IDE reports that some text was copied to the clipboard and then it's up to you to go to the forum and paste it into the reply window.

I guess the "qb=export" thing is to pretty-print and to also allow keywords and other things allowed clicked with the mouse to navigate to the QB64 Wiki. Although that could get annoying sometimes.

LOL!!!

You can!

Go into source mode (CTRL-SHIFT-S) and paste your code in the bbcode then.

If you make ANY edits after that, whitespace is hosed.

I wish I could figure this out, I tried. I'm not giving up, but...

You need to use source edit mode and not WYSIWYG mode.

If you like, there is a preference I think you can set to choose which mode to use by default.

Then your code will work!

Look:

Code: (Select All)
PRINT "Hello I am Minerva."
PRINT "I come from a code window."
PRINT "But I can't help where my nose is LOL."
PRINT "    -- "
PRINT "  /  \"
PRINT " |0    0|"
PRINT " |  v |"
PRINT " | (====) |"
PRINT " \________/"
PRINT "========="

(i made some edits I didn't know what the original looked like, but minerva is a cutey! LOLBBQ)
grymmjack (gj!)
(06-16-2023, 01:43 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: As a test try this:

Download the latest version of QB64 as a zip file and extract the folder to your desktop.

Unzip all the files in summer.zip into the folder on your desktop. Go into the folder, start QB64PE, and then load summer.bas. Press F5 to run the code.

If the programs now runs one of three things may be happening:

- Your installation of QB64PE is corrupt.

- You may be attempting to run the code from within the zip file instead of extracting the files to the folder.

- You are attempting run the program from a folder within your QB64PE folder. All files in summer.zip must be in the root QB64PE folder.
I had issues with this. It turns out you can't just unzip over top an existing QB64pe, you need to clobber the whole thing.
grymmjack (gj!)
(06-16-2023, 03:54 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote:
Quote:@mnrvovrfc - The moment I saw the word "cracks" in one of your posts, if I were mod of this forum I would have had to give you a warning.
In German computer forums, people who can do something was/are called cracks: He is real great (programmer)! It has nothing to do with the drug crack.
LOL.

Yes and hacker does not mean bad guy trying to steal people's identities.

Have you guys ever read the jargon file? It's very out-dated I guess in 2023, but I found it fascinating to read and learn the etymology of some interesting words we use and take for granted.
grymmjack (gj!)
You and mnrvovrfc can widen Minerva by one and the nose is centered. If that is what you both want. I run Linux. It likes its filenames to be case sensitive and I did not get them all correct in Summer.bas by TerryRitchie. That was he was referring to me with my problem and giving his solution to it.
(06-16-2023, 08:55 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote:
(06-16-2023, 05:12 PM)bplus Wrote: In USA there was a magazine:
I think I purchased every issue of Cracked and Mad Magazine when I was 10 to 14 years old. Al Jaffe's work in Mad Magazine was amazing. I wish I would have kept them. I believe the first Mad Magazine issue I bought was the Star wars parody. My mom did not approve of Mad Magazine ... all the more reason to get them!

SAME!

I loved Don Martin! He was my fav artist.

My mom and I used to go to garage sales and get all the old paperbacks and mags we could. I loved MAD and CRACKED both.

I actually still love them.

I bought this old CD collection of MAD Magazines a long time ago, and it was awesome. It was before ebooks took over the world, and the CD-ROM era was still in "encyclopedia reference" stuff with Encarta, etc. When we all had slow connections.

I might still have this, but I did find this instead and the torrent works.
[Image: mad-torrent.png]

a man said to the universe
grymmjack (gj!)
(06-17-2023, 05:07 AM)Stuart Wrote: @Pete :  Your presence has be sorely missed for a few months now...  hope to see you back soon.
+100
grymmjack (gj!)
(06-17-2023, 02:09 PM)grymmjack Wrote:
(06-14-2023, 12:36 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: The additional functionality to SOUND is great, but it's destined to do only one-channel sound. One still has to work for multichannel playback with _SNDRAW and the like. ON PLAY() was never supported by QB64. This is just a reminder for the ambitious ones.

You raise a solid point. I was playing around with it yesterday to learn too (obviously it requires QB64PE3.8+).

I spoke with @a740g on Discord and he mentioned he wants to add some multi-channel stuff. Then he showed me how it uses miniaudio and when I saw it could do filters and had the ability to do delay and reverb, my little brain and heart nearly exploded with joy.

I'm super excited about this stuff!
Thanks for the sound demo. It's giving me some ideas for revisiting old sound play code I wrote (in programs).