Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
InForm-PE
@atl068 The issue you reported above is fixed. I pushed the changes to GithHub. Get the latest using the link in the first post or directly from GitHub. Thanks!
Why don't you do it like in Visual Basic: All input fields are text fields, and for numeric fields you simply use "Val"? This would save you a lot of complicated things.

But I don't know, how complicated is it to connect this to QB64.
(04-28-2024, 08:45 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: Why don't you do it like in Visual Basic: All input fields are text fields, and for numeric fields you simply use "Val"? This would save you a lot of complicated things.
But I don't know, how complicated is it to connect this to QB64.
I'm pretty confident it's doable, but it would mean either making breaking changes or starting the project from scratch. To be honest, I just don't have the time or the motivation for another GUI project right now.

Maybe we could run a survey to gather a wish list for InForm-PE and then think about bumping up the major version after we've added those features, especially if they're going to cause breaking changes. That way, it will be a progressive change.

Managing this solo, is well... demanding. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer – actually, anyone who wants to chip in is more than welcome.
I have written it before, and I can only repeat it: If you live in the USA, ask Microsoft who developed the original VisualBasic, up to VB6. There are definitely still a few of them.
If you can get through that point, present your project to them and ask them if they would be interested in co-developing VB with QB64 (without the damned Net-Shit).

Your project has potential, but without professional support, it will remain niche.
Try MS. Nothing more than rejection/disinterest can happen.
(04-28-2024, 10:56 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: I have written it before, and I can only repeat it: If you live in the USA, ask Microsoft who developed the original VisualBasic, up to VB6. There are definitely still a few of them.
If you can get through that point, present your project to them and ask them if they would be interested in co-developing VB with QB64 (without the damned Net-Shit).

Your project has potential, but without professional support, it will remain niche.
Microsoft decided to stop supporting programming for the masses when they chose to hide QBASIC in the OLDMSDOS directory on the installation CD starting with Windows 95 and then later not including it at all on the installation CDs beginning with Windows XP. Granted, QBASIC was 16bit and not a good fit for XP, but they could have developed a free 32bit version of VB to include in later operating systems. Microsoft's goal was (and is) to keep the computing masses as dumb as possible for control. Providing the means to write your own software didn't fit their agenda.

What amazes me is that Microsoft has never come after the QB64 project with a cease and desist.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(04-28-2024, 11:42 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 10:56 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: I have written it before, and I can only repeat it: If you live in the USA, ask Microsoft who developed the original VisualBasic, up to VB6. There are definitely still a few of them.

Microsoft decided to stop supporting programming for the masses when they chose to hide QBASIC in the OLDMSDOS directory on the installation CD starting with Windows 95 and then later not including it at all on the installation CDs beginning with Windows XP. Granted, QBASIC was 16bit and not a good fit for XP, but they could have developed a free 32bit version of VB to include in later operating systems. Microsoft's goal was (and is) to keep the computing masses as dumb as possible for control. Providing the means to write your own software didn't fit their agenda.

What amazes me is that Microsoft has never come after the QB64 project with a cease and desist.
Microsoft is not what it was 10-15 years ago (at least that's what it seems like to me). They have no issues with things like ReactOS and Wine. So, I doubt they'll have any issue with QB64. Moreoever, QB64 is a clean-room open-source implementation of the language.
(05-04-2024, 09:08 AM)a740g Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 11:42 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote:

Microsoft is not what it was 10-15 years ago (at least that's what it seems like to me). They have no issues with things like ReactOS and Wine. So, I doubt they'll have any issue with QB64. Moreoever, QB64 is a clean-room open-source implementation of the language.
That's a good point about ReactOS and Wine.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial