Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AAFB
I’ve been toying with the idea of rendering graphics to SCREEN 0 for a while and have figured out quite a few things on how to accomplish this at a reasonably good speed. However, one of those experiments turned out to be the most fun of all. So much so that I decided to convert it into a tiny library and share it here. You can use this to give your programs a retro artistic look.

The library has just two functions: AAFB_Render and AAFB_SetupScreen0.

The AAFB_Render function is used to render any graphics image onto a SCREEN 0 image. It takes two parameters: srcImage and dstImage. The srcImage parameter is the handle of the graphics image to be rendered, and the dstImage parameter is the handle of the destination SCREEN 0 image where the ASCII art image will be rendered onto. dstImage can be 0 (i.e. the real SCREEN). srcImage and dstImage must have the same dimensions.

Code: (Select All)
SUB AAFB_Render (BYVAL srcImage AS LONG, BYVAL dstImage AS LONG)

The AAFB_SetupScreen0 is just a convenience function that quickly sets up SCREEN 0 with optimal settings.

Code: (Select All)
SUB AAFB_SetupScreen0 (screenWidth AS _UNSIGNED INTEGER, screenHeight AS _UNSIGNED INTEGER)

QB64-PE 3.12 is required. To use an older compiler, remove the "$INCLUDEONCE" lines from AAFB.bi and AAFB.bas.

There are some demos included in the Demo folder.

[Image: Screenshot-2024-04-30-180035.png]
RokCoder's Galaga running on top of AAFB.

[Image: Screenshot-2024-04-30-180440.png]
FishTank demo running on top of AAFB.

Limitations:
  • There is no built-in scaling. However, this can be easily done with _PUTIMAGE
  • Although it is quite fast, the rendering is done on the CPU and hence may not be suitable for high-resolution rendering (e.g. WIDTH 1920, 1080). However, lots of performance can be gained if you compile with the QB64-PE optimization option enabled.
  • It does not render to the console / terminal. There are other of libraries that do that. However, they are limited to a reduced set of ASCII characters. AAFB uses all 256 ASCII characters.

Attached Files
.zip   AAFB.zip (Size: 7.61 MB / Downloads: 14)
those are some nice screen shots specially considering they are on screen 0, @Pete might enjoy just to say, 'told ya so!'

what is it about pixel art or impressionistic paintings that are so beautiful? you reduce detail and yet it is prettier.

+1 this is amazing result of self challenge to do graphics on screen 0 but don't we have all that already in graphics screens?
b = b + ...
(04-30-2024, 03:08 PM)bplus Wrote: +1 this is amazing result of self challenge to do graphics on screen 0 but don't we have all that already in graphics screens?

Thanks! We do. This was just "for science" and "what if". Basically just for fun. Big Grin
And like I keep telling you guys, SCREEN 0 is the only screen anyone would ever need!

Pete Big Grin +2
@a740g this is interesting. Are those little o characters?

Going to put this in GitHub too?
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
(05-01-2024, 09:53 PM)grymmjack Wrote: @a740g this is interesting. Are those little o characters?

Going to put this in GitHub too?

Yeah. But the code can use any ASCII character. I basically wrote a tiny program that takes the QB64 8x8 px font and sorts the whole range based on intensity (i.e. how many pixels are set). These are then put in a LUT from where it is used.

Yes. I'll eventually clean this up and put it on GitHub.
a740g,

Very good on what you did.  The game demo reminds me of the arcade version. I did just as well today as then.
(05-02-2024, 04:34 PM)GareBear Wrote: a740g,

Very good on what you did.  The game demo reminds me of the arcade version. I did just as well today as then.

Thanks! But just to clarify, only the rendering library is mine. I do not take any credit for the game. That brilliant piece of work was done by @RokCoder. You can find the original here: https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1443 or https://github.com/rokcoder-qb64/galaga
That looks awesome! Makes me want to do some more retro repros. Nice work indeed!
(05-02-2024, 05:54 PM)RokCoder Wrote: That looks awesome! Makes me want to do some more retro repros. Nice work indeed!
Oh yes, please do! I love your games.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial