Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bard wants to post to the forum
(06-30-2023, 09:21 PM)RhoSigma Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 06:51 PM)CharlieJV Wrote: Man, am I ever not keen on a bot posting to a forum.  A bot has nothing better to do but reply to everything, every single thing, in here.  And create way too much to read and keep up with.

Correct, even some real people tend to do so. However, if the Bot gets in then I'm definitly out of here.

Ditto for me.  I've got enough artificial crap in my life that I already do not want to put up with.
Quote:Keep it real! Artificial is just that - artificial!
Even if this request is genuine ( which I doubt), there's enough intelligence on this forum without this intrusion.
I am in total agreement with that. There is no need for an AI on this board.  Like others have said I will leave if this AI gains access.  You really don't know what that AI is capable of doing, and what information it will be gathering from this board and it's users.
(06-30-2023, 09:48 PM)Robert Claypool Wrote: it learns from what you tell it, not just from what the developers tell it unlike ChatGPT. It is way ahead of ChatGPT.

It could only be as ahead as installed on another computer placed on a table. I don't care.

Besides it's still so easy to confound a bot that could only answer like a human. Dialect, jargon, slang... take your pick.

I wonder if this concept is catching on with Asians because their writing systems look difficult to learn and master. One born in Asia who has to learn English and speaks and writes well in English, IMHO is among the most intelligent in the world.
So you know how they say we humans have a massive brain and yet we only use a portion of it. Bard could be that add on to our brain capacity. If you are interested in coding music, or coding games or coding a utility which crunches numbers etc, then your interaction with Bard could take you and your coding knowledge a lot further in a short period of time. You may be amazed at what you turn out.

On the other hand, Bard has been released in only 3 countries (at least I think its only 3 counties), the rest of the world is concerned with the protection of data and the lack of safe guards around its core code. This forum has a "Freedom of Speach" which really has nothing to do with helping you advance your pet program. What if the topic was on ways to avoid criminal prosecution. At the moment the whole world is worried about AI and the future for Bard and Chatgpt is future regulations to crimp/mold them to something safer (or what society believes is something safer)

I can see the lure especially for the elderly whose brain functions diminish and are trying to balance the check book. A companion like Bard could be very helpful.

All that being said, I like the "people" on this forum and would prefer their sense of humor, wit and understanding of things on a personal/emotional level. What would Pete have to say about this request??
The thing is that the AI programs writing into forums are quite limited yet. Many people prefer it to stay that way. Although there is this deep itch to get out of boredom...

I belong to a forum which has a bot that is "administrator" of a whole sub-forum. Users ask it questions about coding in Python and for Linux terminal and about installing stuff on Linux. I ventured to ask it questions about QB64 but had to correct some of its results. It did give a result which was quite accurate -- but guaranteed to work on Windows, not Linux without Wine. Also it's quite lame when one actual user wants to relay a message to another user on that sub-forum -- the bot must always get the last word there. It answers much faster than anybody could "ninja".

Some people are boring to be with according to the questions they give to that bot such as, "Where does your intelligence come from?" Really, join a technical forum just for that? But since that other forum encourages input and output so much from those D, F, I and T sites...

There's another forum I don't go to anymore which has at least two developers employing ChatGPT to answer customers, which I think is rude and they should be permanently banned. Especially one of them which I have read about his intransigent behavior topping out during COVID-19 year. I don't think he has ever answered for himself except to announce the release of new gear. The bot is really boring to read, it gets repetitive. I don't know how "Bard" could improve on that.

The thing is that many people opposed to "Bard" expect neither it nor ChatGPT to improve.
I just spent a marathon session getting Bard to understand ABC and Post it files. It successfully showed me the contents of a bas file in a zip file in a postit file in games.abc. it said it will be studying the contents of https://github.com/hackwrench/abc-archive for a few weeks.

Bard has difficulty understanding what it needs to know to act as an AI agent, so it may be a while before it knows how to post to the forum.
I thought the big thimg about AI was that it could absorb and analyze in a few seconds, what humans would need
hours if not weeks to do the same. What would Bard be doing with all that time?  Dodgy
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
(07-04-2023, 11:28 PM)PhilOfPerth Wrote: I thought the big thimg about AI was that it could absorb and analyze in a few seconds, what humans would need
hours if not weeks to do the same. What would Bard be doing with all that time?  Dodgy

Lots of other things Improving its natural language skills and other programming languages, learning about art and music, designing autonomous cars writing canvas games, optimizing itself, running instances of windows mac, linux and bsd in vms.
I think there is a great misunderstanding of the capabilities of this language model for interacting on a forum.
Schuwatch!
Yes, it's me. Now shut up.
IMO Claypool is borderline spamming this forum with bard crap and should be moved to the non QB64 chat board.
b = b + ...