Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ported to BAM: Tim Hartnell's Mumble Marble (a peg solitaire game)
Posted here
(08-10-2023, 03:36 AM)CharlieJV Wrote: Posted here
A real mind-bender that one!!

Going to need a coffee to untangle the old grey matter... ouch!

I have heaps of Tim's listings. Very cool...
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
(08-10-2023, 11:22 AM)johnno56 Wrote:
(08-10-2023, 03:36 AM)CharlieJV Wrote: Posted here
A real mind-bender that one!!

Going to need a coffee to untangle the old grey matter... ouch!

I have heaps of Tim's listings. Very cool...

I'll be putting together a mouse-click / touch version of that, hoping it works A-1 for mobile devices.

That said, there's something cathartic about slowing everything down by entering coordinates via the keyboard.

This program is from a listing on the internet archive.  A slight mod to the original involving addition of colour and slightly adjusted layout.  There was a small bug in the listing which I resolved by finding the program's original code.  That took some sleuthing.
Completely slipped my mind... (nothing unusual there... lol) in regards to the colour and positioning of the "board". I even like the colour scheme... I am so used to Tim's "white on black" display... lol

In my opinion the program is fine just the the way it is... Creating a more "modern" version (graphics/sound/touch) would be a cool project as well... but would "Tim" approve? (Rhetorical, as Tim passed away some time ago 1951-1991)
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
(08-10-2023, 07:10 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Completely slipped my mind... (nothing unusual there... lol) in regards to the colour and positioning of the "board". I even like the colour scheme... I am so used to Tim's "white on black" display... lol

In my opinion the program is fine just the the way it is... Creating a more "modern" version (graphics/sound/touch) would be a cool project as well... but would "Tim" approve? (Rhetorical, as Tim passed away some time ago 1951-1991)

Tim might not approve, but sometimes folk will get tributes that might be a little "out there".

BAM keyboard actions only work with physical keyboards, making the gamut of classic/vintage BASIC goodies unavailable to mobile.

Of course, me being all about bringing BASIC goodness (programming and the creations) to the masses, and all it takes is enabling touch while otherwise maintaining that goodness, then I'm all over that.

Groan: Is that old-school/retro BASIC goodness in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 

Hey, if you like old-school/retro BASIC goodness, then, sorry, I think it is both?  Ba-da-boom bam.  (Yeah, sometimes my sense of ha-ha leaves 'em scarred...)