Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lesson 22: Hardware Acceleration finished
I'll need to look into these options. I'm using Google Sites to create the tutorial and exclusively use the editor to create the pages. I never actually see any code because it's completely handled in the background by Google Sites. Heck, all of the images you see on the site ... I have no idea where they are stored, LOL. I simply click upload image, select the image from my hard drive, and *poof*, it appears on the site. It's stupid simple to use Sites but leaves the user blind to many of the underpinnings.

To further complicate matters Google sold Sites to SquareSpace that is taking over control soon. I have no idea what shenanigans are in store for me when this happens. Will I be able to use the same editor? Will the tutorial site lose some of its formatting due to the changeover? With any luck it will go smoothly ... LOL, probably not, we're talking big major tech companies here.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
If you want a www.qb64phoenix.com/tutorial subdomain, that shouldn't be too hard to set up for you.  Then you can have 100% control of what you keep there.
(09-21-2023, 03:04 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: If you want a www.qb64phoenix.com/tutorial subdomain, that shouldn't be too hard to set up for you.  Then you can have 100% control of what you keep there.
Thank you for the offer! That would be great but I need to see how difficult it would be to convert Sites to some other editor's format. The reason I went to Sites was because coding the tutorial by hand was way too much work, and quite frankly, I stink at HTML coding. Blush  All of the fancy CSS and embedded entities on the tutorial site are completely controlled by Sites.
QB64 Tutorial
(09-21-2023, 02:58 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: To further complicate matters Google sold Sites to SquareSpace that is taking over control soon.

What a shame. The site you have looks very nice and it must encourage more people to learn BASIC, although not necessarily to hang around being hobby programmers. I believe the look of a web site helps engage people, and you have certainly succeeded. Never mind that I should have gotten my prescription for glasses so it's only my problem I can't stay very long with all the yellow print...
(09-21-2023, 03:14 AM)mnrvovrfc Wrote:
(09-21-2023, 02:58 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: To further complicate matters Google sold Sites to SquareSpace that is taking over control soon.

What a shame. The site you have looks very nice and it must encourage more people to learn BASIC, although not necessarily to hang around being hobby programmers. I believe the look of a web site helps engage people, and you have certainly succeeded. Never mind that I should have gotten my prescription for glasses so it's only my problem I can't stay very long with all the yellow print...
Yellow on blue was actually a default in many of the old DOS language IDEs back in the day, that's why I chose it. I have noticed in Sites that I can set up color pallets in the editor and choose them to change the overall color scheme of the entire site with a single change. I'm not sure if I can extend this feature to site visitors though. I'll look into that.

Even if SquareSpace ends up pooching things I'll still be offering the tutorial site. I'll just have some work ahead of me cleaning up the mess they made, or possibly move the site as suggested by Steve to a subdomain here. In some way, shape, or form, the tutorial site will live as long as I do. Tongue
QB64 Tutorial
LOL!  That's how I feel about our forums and all.  As long as this old fart hasn't faded away, we'll always be here in some shape or other!  Big Grin
Heart 
@TerryRitchie awesome! Thank you for putting so much of your time and effort into teaching and sharing. Heart
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
(09-21-2023, 12:38 PM)grymmjack Wrote: @TerryRitchie awesome! Thank you for putting so much of your time and effort into teaching and sharing.  Heart
You are most welcome.
QB64 Tutorial
Late to the party but FWIW, for me the ideal offline version would be in pdf format with chapters, etc. bookmarked. For epub I'd have to use calibre and I'm not sure if it handles images.

Thanks.

TR
(09-21-2023, 02:58 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote: I'll need to look into these options. I'm using Google Sites to create the tutorial and exclusively use the editor to create the pages. I never actually see any code because it's completely handled in the background by Google Sites. Heck, all of the images you see on the site ... I have no idea where they are stored, LOL. I simply click upload image, select the image from my hard drive, and *poof*, it appears on the site. It's stupid simple to use Sites but leaves the user blind to many of the underpinnings.

To further complicate matters Google sold Sites to SquareSpace that is taking over control soon. I have no idea what shenanigans are in store for me when this happens. Will I be able to use the same editor? Will the tutorial site lose some of its formatting due to the changeover? With any luck it will go smoothly ... LOL, probably not, we're talking big major tech companies here.
All of the website assets are going to Google drive for the account you used to create the Google Site. The assert storage will count against the total account cloud storage space. Look for the `root` or `attachment` folders. All your site assets should be there.