Poll: Choose 1 banner for your vote!
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
bplus Falling Leaves
53.33%
8 53.33%
dbox Run and Jump
46.67%
7 46.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall 2023 Banner Contest - Vote here
I'm only seeing 12% CPU usage with both animations going.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(10-04-2023, 04:13 PM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: Some of y'all simply have no taste.

Yeah, I have no taste for scrollbars. Really do you want to look at that evil pumpkin for a couple of months? Don't let the devil make you do it.
b = b + ...
(10-04-2023, 04:16 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote: I'm only seeing 12% CPU usage with both animations going.
Occasionally the occupancy rate is even 49%! Normal between 28%/29% to 32%.

[Image: CPU-Auslastung-2023-10-04-204433.jpg]
but your CPU will be so happy, so honored to run this instead of a Tic Toc video!
b = b + ...
I have noticed that the speed of the animation differs wildly across different computers. My work PC plays the animations at the speed I'd expect. My home PC makes them go probably 2 to 3 times faster than they should.
Tread on those who tread on you

(10-06-2023, 03:47 AM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: I have noticed that the speed of the animation differs wildly across different computers. My work PC plays the animations at the speed I'd expect. My home PC makes them go probably 2 to 3 times faster than they should.

Hmm.  I just viewed then on Xubuntu running in VirtualBox, where they were painfully slow, but on Windows they run at the speed I'd expect.
Here's an idea, since our voting base is so evenly distributed over which banner to use:  Why not use both?

[pseudcode]
If Val(Mid$(Date$,3),2) Mod 2 Then
    Display dbox_banner
Else
    Display bplus_banner
End If
[/pseudocode]
Looks to me like @bplus has won fair and square!
Well if you do split it up I want odd numbered days Smile

And split my days between scroller bar days and non scroller bar days 1:60 LOL

@grymmjack I will be glad to modify code as needed by you to remove scroll bars and the pumpkin too, maybe shortly after Halloween? We could throw the animation into a _putImage to fit image whole into any screen requirements needed.
b = b + ...
Congratulations @bplus AND @dbox

I like the idea @smcneill has and will see if I can do this.

I will also attempt to add a still image version by default and a play link/button so that CPU is a non-issue. The idea being render image, and only play in place once button pushed, but also add a checkbox over the image to remember the play decision.

I think this is a good compromise and the extra work done can be reused for future banner competitions.

One request I have for you @dbox is it even possible to do this without a external approach / mod? E.g. maybe a future qbjs keyword or meta that can include an image and render it under the play button in non auto mode? That'd solve this nicely, but if we do that it would also be nice to be able to customize the play button itself, size, position, or entirely somehow.

For now I know we can do this external to requiring qbjs mods.

I'll post updates when I have them ready for review on staging.

Well done all!
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs