Poll: Choose 1 banner for your vote!
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
bplus Falling Leaves
53.33%
8 53.33%
dbox Run and Jump
46.67%
7 46.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall 2023 Banner Contest - Vote here
(10-07-2023, 01:57 PM)grymmjack Wrote:
(10-07-2023, 01:48 PM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: I would suggest turning them into GIFs so they're not doing the actual JavaScript stuff yet still retaining their animations.

Also for @bplus banner it changes based on time of day. So maybe use dusk or whatever time he wants for your capture?

Ah sh* forget the gifs, the time of day is best feature! unless you want a gif for each hour of day, yikes!
I wouldn't even do the screen shots for all that PLUS you need the leave falling animations Yikes ^ Yikes!

Gifs come in a sorry second to live animation, sorry.
b = b + ...
(10-07-2023, 01:55 PM)grymmjack Wrote:
(10-04-2023, 12:09 PM)dbox Wrote:
(10-04-2023, 11:16 AM)Kernelpanic Wrote: @dbox - The animation reminds me of Captain Comic, very well done, but what does that have to do with autumn?

It was a whole Autumn tileset, kind of a harvest theme.  But yeah, I hear you.  I voted for @bplus too.

Can this tile set be shared with us? Or is it not free?

If it's already in the zip, (i have not unzipped or loaded your banner into qbjs yet) ignore.

It'd be fun to have a common review and deep dive into the code in video or written form, and having the assets we could start pooling them somewhere to share and build a global asset bank kinda thing.

Again with the time consuming ideas detracting us from business at hand, you are reminding me of Walter, yikes!
b = b + ...
(10-07-2023, 02:01 PM)grymmjack Wrote:
(10-04-2023, 07:51 AM)RhoSigma Wrote: Another thing I'd request is limiting the animations to 5-10 loops and then stop, as it uses much cpu time, which gears up the fan. So I imagine if you have several forum pages open to eg. write a post and in the same time gather information from other threads/posts, then it could quickly burn the cpu, when on every page the animation is running.

Eg. just the two banners running here while I write this already take 33-37% cpu usage.

That's a good idea I think too! Just read the idea, sorry for missing did not mean to.

yes run through one loop and freeze after done printing but you will miss wind kicking up and blowing leaves until trees almost bare... for dbox ???

Nope Falling leaves was designed as an animation based on time of day and you guessed it falling leaves, no gifs, no screen shots, animation! And I'd really prefer no scrollbars, does anyone watch a movie with scrollbars yikes!

Use mine as designed as animation or don't use it please. I am willing to call animation unfeasible at this time but then again my best work comes from persistence when faced with a challenge and a time constraint!

Don't fall into trap but this is a better idea, no this, no wait (some more!) this idea is even grander!
Like sure let's do both so then we don't have to make another difficult decision!
b = b + ...
(10-07-2023, 01:40 PM)grymmjack Wrote: Congratulations @bplus AND @dbox

I like the idea @smcneill has and will see if I can do this.

I will also attempt to add a still image version by default and a play link/button so that CPU is a non-issue. The idea being render image, and only play in place once button pushed, but also add a checkbox over the image to remember the play decision.

I think this is a good compromise and the extra work done can be reused for future banner competitions.

One request I have for you @dbox is it even possible to do this without a external approach / mod? E.g. maybe a future qbjs keyword or meta that can include an image and render it under the play button in non auto mode? That'd solve this nicely, but if we do that it would also be nice to be able to customize the play button itself, size, position, or entirely somehow.

For now I know we can do this external to requiring qbjs mods.

I'll post updates when I have them ready for review on staging.

Well done all!

Dam* lost track of order of bplus tags I went one way you went another...

I don't think this compromise is good idea, you've managed to double bury yourself with 2 times the work!

Let's just try and get mind focused on one project instead of juggling twos sets of problems.

Do mine or do dbox just quit stalling.
b = b + ...
@grymmjack Man! I thought you had all this stuff worked out when you were posting the samples.

Wouldn't the CPU strain quit as soon as user on browser dives into a board and starts reading and replying? how long do people spend gazing at the forum banner.

Say how about a Banner still shot and link to the "real" Forum Banner in a side thread?
Surely that would please mnr... PLUS anyone who wants to gaze upon real animated artwork! LOL

PLUS you can do both dbox and my banner PLUS in the future we can do it this way too PLUS you get your museum hall of banners!

All your problems solved! Oh a still shot from bplus 1, 3, 5... and one from dbox 2, 4, 6,...

There! all done. Smile
b = b + ...
(10-07-2023, 01:55 PM)grymmjack Wrote: Can this tile set be shared with us? Or is it not free?

If it's already in the zip, (i have not unzipped or loaded your banner into qbjs yet) ignore.

It'd be fun to have a common review and deep dive into the code in video or written form, and having the assets we could start pooling them somewhere to share and build a global asset bank kinda thing.

Yes, it’s all free assets.  I’ll do a separate walkthrough of the code in the QBJS sub-forum.
What a shame the newly-supported QOI can't help us here. (roll eyes)

A WEBP is superior to GIF but is heck to support. But then how to capture each frame of one of these animations? How many frames to capture? Because the file could get quite big, because it will support more than 256 colors. Putting bplus' effort into a GIF/WEBP would make it static; part of the charm is the randomness with the leaves falling and what goes on "inside" that silly pumpkin.

I'd rather forget about the banners that were shown in the past. What is the sense of showing them again, if they used to be displayed for a long while each one? Those banners happened before the qualifications were changed, and those aren't programmable, mostly just static JPEG or PNG, a QB64 program which is just `SCREEN _LOADIMAGE("whatever.png", 32)`.

EDIT: OK the one that is about to be replaced was the result of a QB64 program but it features no animation, so... take your shots.
(10-07-2023, 03:55 PM)bplus Wrote: @grymmjack Man! I thought you had all this stuff worked out when you were posting the samples.

Wouldn't the CPU strain quit as soon as user on browser dives into a board and starts reading and replying? how long do people spend gazing at the forum banner.

Say how about a Banner still shot and link to the "real" Forum Banner in a side thread?
Surely that would please mnr... PLUS anyone who wants to gaze upon real animated artwork! LOL

PLUS you can do both dbox and my banner PLUS in the future we can do it this way too PLUS you get your museum hall of banners!

All your problems solved! Oh a still shot from bplus 1, 3, 5... and one from dbox 2, 4, 6,...

There! all done. Smile

@bplus i don't think the fact that a user scrolls down to read posts will stop the javascript from running. I don't think it works like that.
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
(10-07-2023, 03:55 PM)bplus Wrote: @grymmjack Man! I thought you had all this stuff worked out when you were posting the samples.

There! all done. Smile

Still image would be fine with me at this point. I'm thinking maybe I am a bit too eager given the responses Smile
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
OK I like seeing that pumpkin at night best with stars in sky:

b = b + ...