Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.9.0 Released!
Thanks for the excellent work, all out of enthusiasm. Something like this always shows what people can achieve when they believe in something - whether good or bad.

[OT]
It makes me think of something that has nothing to do with programming: "Battle Cry of Freedom - The Civil War Era" by James M. McPherson. -- Maybe a bit pathetic here, but on the point. . .
[/OT]

Now this also works with the text line as is practical. Thanks.

I should really look into the graphics options. . .
Thanks to all developers!

PS: 
It's a real shame that QuickBasic64 and all this enthusiasm for Basic basically lives in the dark. Why is there no account on Facebook?
No matter what one think about it, this is the only way to make this modern form of QuickBasic known, and perhaps Microsoft will also take notice of it.

Yes, this is the only way to bring this language, which is useful for many things, back into awareness of the programming solution to problems in IT.
(10-05-2023, 11:08 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: Why is there no account on Facebook?
No matter what one think about it, this is the only way to make this modern form of QuickBasic known, and perhaps Microsoft will also take notice of it.

Aren't Github, Reddit and Discord enough? Huh

Also M$ aren't going to care about something that doesn't bring them profits directly. To make them take notice you have to install Visual Studio 2022 or its update and stay using Visual Basic, or what it looks like which is a combination with Python and many other non-BASIC things. You're supposed to choose Github for "social networking" otherwise.

Indeed, many "programmers" are on Facebook but less for programming than for the usual thing. Joining that site only to try to find a group about programming is silly. Because eventually one will be steered toward the games or some other feature of that site.
DAMN IT, guys. On my work PC, where I have no access to the way McAfee is configured, for the first time ever with any QB64 version, the damned McAfee found it imperative to remove cpp.exe.

Now what? What is not going to work? And is there a way to make cpp.exe compliant with these antivirus apps?

PS. I tried a couple of programs and they seem to run. I'm anxious about what will get messed up, but so far v3.9 runs.

PPS. All worked fine with the download and unzipping in my own PC, where I use Windows Defender (or whatever MS prefers to call it these days).
I'm in a Basic Programming Group and and QB64 group on facebook. some folks tried to start a qb64 vs qb64PE turf war but got slapped down by the "oh no too much chocolate in my chocolate bar" argument.
(10-06-2023, 05:25 AM)bert22306 Wrote: Now what? What is not going to work? And is there a way to make cpp.exe compliant with these antivirus apps?

The QB64PE team has no control over that. Take this gripe over to the creators of MinGW.

You should try to get another computer for your work if it's possible, and install Linux on it. Check out a few distros like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, ZorinOS etc. Take it easy one day, one week at a time. If you don't like something in a distro, then move on to the next one. It should be a gradual process not a dive. Linux will not hassle you about one program or library which is a component of a programming system.
Quote:DAMN IT, guys. On my work PC, where I have no access to the way McAfee is configured, for the first time ever with any QB64 version, the damned McAfee found it imperative to remove cpp.exe.
This has nothing to do with MinGW, but rather with the McAfee settings. Apparently the person responsible has either blocked certain executable files/declared them dangerous, or all of them. Have you already made him aware of this?
Maybe I was displaying my ignorance while proposing to check out Linux. However, this anti-virus issue will keep coming up with every release of QB64PE, always something "it" doesn't like. They just don't want you to be a computer programmer for any length of time. Having to change something for work could be tough. But when the same thing keeps coming up and it's irritating... then well, a drastic decision must be made. Might have to cut cold with QB64PE if the work is really that important. In the future, what else will have to be cut only so that the anti-virus is satisfied?

OK, OK I have made it worse. It's because once I referred to McAfee in desperation. Allowed it to slow down my computer while I went online daily, many years ago on a single-core CPU laptop. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it now. I have hoped I never had to purchase any anti-virus or Internet security software from anybody.
If cpp.exe is a file in MinGW, then does anyone have a clue about what won't translate properly to C++? I tried a couple more programs and they all seemed to compile correctly. Should I expect some programs to give me compilation errors I never saw previously?
(10-06-2023, 09:48 PM)bert22306 Wrote: If cpp.exe is a file in MinGW, then does anyone have a clue about what won't translate properly to C++? I tried a couple more programs and they all seemed to compile correctly. Should I expect some programs to give me compilation errors I never saw previously?

Can you keep McFee out of a flash drive or VM?
b = b + ...
A Virtual Machine would require a lot of memory and might be a hassle to some people. QB64 compilation is slow as it is, and a VM would only make it much slower.

Any Internet security suite worth its salt would check any drives it could recognize, as soon as the operating system activates them. I imagine by this time without WSL it could recognize "btrfs", "ext4" and other file systems and not just "exfat" and "NTFS".