Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.9.0 Released!
(10-06-2023, 09:48 PM)bert22306 Wrote: If cpp.exe is a file in MinGW, then does anyone have a clue about what won't translate properly to C++? I tried a couple more programs and they all seemed to compile correctly. Should I expect some programs to give me compilation errors I never saw previously?

I hope you did intall the qb64pe folder into your personal (user) folder and not directly on the C:\ path, I've never had problems on my company's work PC when installing everything into my user folder even with McAfee, Sentinel and who knows whatever other security software our admins installed on the PCs.
(10-06-2023, 09:48 PM)bert22306 Wrote: If cpp.exe is a file in MinGW, then does anyone have a clue about what won't translate properly to C++? I tried a couple more programs and they all seemed to compile correctly. Should I expect some programs to give me compilation errors I never saw previously?

From what I understand about such things, (which I admit is much less than it should be,) cpp is the "GNU pre-compiler", and gpp is the "general purpose precompiler".   Since you tend to program almost exclusively for windows environments, I don't *think* you'll ever make use of cpp, but I wouldn't 100% swear to it.  Someone with more C++ experience than me will have to give you a definitive answer, but I don't personally think it's going to be much of an issue  -- if any at all -- for you.
Is it about the work PC that you don't have the option to set - right?

Something is wrong in your description. If Cpp.exe was deleted, no C++ program should be compiled. Consequently, nothing should work.
Type gcc --version
What is displayed?
If MingW is installed, this should basically be displayed:

[Image: GCC-Version2023-10-07-010332.jpg]
If McAfee deletes individual files, there must be an error message.

So, if everything is installed correctly and works, it should look like this (for example):

[Image: Ming-W-CPP-Kompilieren.jpg]
Yes, it's installed in a personal folder in my work PC, where I get the deletion message from McAfee. Conversely, it is installed not in a user folder in my own PC, where all works fine.

The message is: "Trellix Endpoint Security Alert. The file cpp.exe was detected as a threat and deleted."

The warning message pops up toward the end of extracting the files. I use winzip for this, in the work PC.

I have gotten into the habit of always recompiling qb64pe.exe, after the download. Oddly enough perhaps, the recompile works and all my programs which I recompiled to test this also seem to work.

From what you guys say, though, the issue did not surface because of version 3.9, but rather, because something in the McAfee settings was changed. That being the case, I can't complain to QB64pe.

Thanks!
Quote:The message is: "Trellix Endpoint Security Alert. The file cpp.exe was detected as a threat and deleted."
. . .
From what you guys say, though, the issue did not surface because of version 3.9, but rather, because something in the McAfee settings was changed. That being the case, I can't complain to QB64pe.
Then only the person who set it up can help you, the administrator. Explain the problem to him.
(10-07-2023, 12:24 AM)Kernelpanic Wrote:
Quote:The message is: "Trellix Endpoint Security Alert. The file cpp.exe was detected as a threat and deleted."
. . .
Then only the person who set it up can help you, the administrator. Explain the problem to him.

They will probably ask for a "business case / justification". Big Grin 

Our company moved away from McAfee this year to the MS built-in security. Everything has been good since then. Good riddance!
(10-07-2023, 12:41 AM)a740g Wrote:
Quote:Then only the person who set it up can help you, the administrator. Explain the problem to him.

BINGO! You got the problem exactly right.
This is one of my programs:

Code: (Select All)

'! PROGRAM: GAMMA.BAS
'! This Programm calculates the gammafunction for a specified value.
'! created April 04, 2017 by Bruno Schaefer, Losheim am See, Germany
'! last review: March 28, 2018

Input "Input value: "; value##
result## = gamma##(value##)
Print result##

Function gamma## (x##)
    n = 550
    a## = (x## + n)
    b## = x##
    For I = 1 To (n - 1)
        b## = b## * (x## + I)
    Next I
    Let gamma## = Sqr((2 * _Pi(1)) / a##) * a## ^ a## * Exp(a## * (-1) + (1 / (12 * a##)) - (1 / (360 * a## ^ 3))) / b##
End Function

Input values i.e. :  3  ->   result :  2
                             8  ->   result: 5040

It worked fine in QBPE64 version 3.8.0 and older versions. 

Since QBPE64 version 3.9.0 the result is: inf

Whats wrong?
(10-07-2023, 02:19 AM)bert22306 Wrote:
(10-07-2023, 12:41 AM)a740g Wrote:

BINGO! You got the problem exactly right.
Perhaps you could use something like GoToMyPC to access your home computer from work. The school I worked for had a very strict admin but I was still able to get through the firewall to my home computer using my work computer as a remote access terminal.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(10-07-2023, 03:37 AM)BSpinoza Wrote: This is one of my programs:

'! PROGRAM: GAMMA.BAS
'! This Programm calculates the gammafunction for a specified value.
'! created April 04, 2017 by Bruno Schaefer, Losheim am See, Germany
'! last review: March 28, 2018

Input "Input value: "; value##
result## = gamma##(value##)
Print result##

Function gamma## (x##)
    n = 550
    a## = (x## + n)
    b## = x##
    For I = 1 To (n - 1)
        b## = b## * (x## + I)
    Next I
    Let gamma## = Sqr((2 * _Pi(1)) / a##) * a## ^ a## * Exp(a## * (-1) + (1 / (12 * a##)) - (1 / (360 * a## ^ 3))) / b##
End Function

Input values i.e. :  3  ->   result :  2
                             8  ->   result: 5040

It worked fine in QBPE64 version 3.8.0 and older versions. 

Since QBPE64 version 3.9.0 the result is: inf

Whats wrong?

The cut-off point is at the limits of DOUBLE precision.  For whatever reason, v3.9 isn't honoring the limits on _FLOAT type variables and is, instead, running them as if they were DOUBLE instead.  Looks like a bug to me, which can be easily seen in the code below:

b## = 3
FOR i## = 4 TO 175
    b## = b## * i##
    PRINT i##, b##
NEXT