Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
qb64phoenix.com server renewals 2024
As the title mentions, it's almost time once again for us to renew our yearly lease on the servers which host the qb64phoenix.com forums and wiki.  April 5th is when the bill comes due for the hamster feed that keeps the hamster healthy and running around it's wheel to keep the lights  on around here, and our yearly costs are around $300.00 for the renewal.

This year, our Patreon has provided us a little over $100.00 in donations.  (Next year, if folks continue to donate at the levels they are now, I'd expect to see the FULL cost of our renewal to be covered.  We had several people sign up back in November and pledge donations via Patreon.)  That leaves about $200.00 left over, which I'll be happy to personally cover if nobody else wants to step up and help out.

If you DO want to help cover this year's shortfall, you can:

1) Sign up on Patreon and join the recurring monthly donations of $3, $5, or $10!  (I know, we ask for a LOT, when that tiny amount won't even pay for a large coffee at Starbucks once a month anymore.)  https://www.patreon.com/user?u=86544769

2) If you're one of the folks who prefer to make a one a year donation, or a one-time donation, you can use Paypal and transfer the funds directly to me and I'll add them to help pay the server costs.  https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/smcneill1973

3) If you're really "Old School" (like several users of anything QBASIC-adjactent are), you can even MAIL me a check, money order, or US  Dollars (if you trust the mail system enough to imagine that cash would get here safely) at:
Steve McNeill
230 McNeil Hill Road
Pilot,  VA  24138

(And yes, they named the road after my family.  They just spelt it wrong, as if you look close, it only has one "L" in it. Be careful of that as it can cause issues with cashiers checks and money orders and such.)

And that's basically the only ways we accept donations.  Patreon, PayPal, or Direct.  If those don't work for you, then it's just too much effort to steal your money... err... accept your generous donation!  Big Grin Wink

You've got about 1 month guys, to get your donation in, if you're going to help cover our costs.  After that, as I mentioned above, I'll personally cover whatever amount is lacking for us.  I honestly don't mind paying these costs to keep everything up and going, but I do have to admit -- after the scare with my open heart surgery and my health and all, I'll be much happier once we get to the point where we're 100% covered in our donations.  Next year, we *should* reach that point, as  long as nothing changes and prices don't go up (which would be soooo  surpising in this hyper-inflation world we're currently living in), and as long as nobody ends up dropping their Patreon subscription.  (Which again, I can't blame anyone one bit if they do, with the prices of everything constantly going up and chipping away at everyone's disposable income.)

And while folks are here reading this, you might want to take a look at the PREVIOUS post in the announcement forums -- it's where all the really good stuff is:  https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2469
One donation of $50 has already came in.  That leaves us $150 short of covering the full server fees this year.  Many thanks to all you fine folks who help support us and keep the lights on.  

Smile

Note:  If excess donations come in, depending on the total amount we gather, I'll either do 1 of two things:

1) Pay for a year and let the access carry over for next year's costs.

Or

2) If we get enough, I'll pay for a multi-year plan, which is cheaper over time, but costs more upfront.  Then nobody will have to worry about these donations and such for quite some time into the future.
And we got a 2nd $50 donation (You guys really don't have to give that much, especially if that's going to be even the slightest bit of a financial burden on anyone!!), leaving us only about $100 short of covering the whole server costs for a year.  

Many thanks to one and all who have donated and help support the project like this!

(Dang, somehow, I sound like one of those PBS station fundraiser guys in my own mind now!  "Thank you caller from Houston, Texas!  You have pushed us over the $100,000 line!  Now we only have $400,000 left to reach our mark for tonight.  Please be generous, and if you enjoy our programs, fine arts, and entertainment, kindly donate what you can to help keep us on the air and bringing such great shows to you."

And to think, my mother always said there was absolutely no point in watching television; all it did was rot your brain.  HA!  Without television and PBS, where would the QB64 Phoenix Edition Fundraising Marthon be right now??)
I offer you 20 euros (20,73 dollars)... they are on their way to your pocket Wink

QB64PE FOREVER  Cool
10 PRINT "Hola! Smile"
20 GOTO 10
Many thanks Ikerkaz. I'm always happy when someone posts their name for recognition, as I honestly don't know what to do if they don't. LOL!

Personally, I'd like to put *EVERYBODY'S* names up in light and ribbons and let bells ring to announce their support and kindness for us, but I've also learned that some folks like to remain anonymous. Since there's no easy check marks on the donation forms for "Please DO (or DON'T) announce my donation to the world!", I try to err on the side of caution and not list names so as to not break anyone's privacy.

Many thanks to one and all who help support us. We're now only $80 from paying for our yearly subscription. Wink
OK we are covered plus a bit for next year if you can wait for snail mail Smile
b = b + ...
Thank you every one, whether you donate money for hosting, post code for other forum members, or provide feedback and conversation in the forums, it's all good.

I especially want to thank the QB64PE developers for keeping this project alive and the great improvements added over the last year. This kind of dedication to a project is rarely seen.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
If we are going for PBS, we need to get some matching grants.
It's not the having, it's the doing.
$25.00 donation came in just a bit ago.  We're now only $55.00 from covering the complete server costs for this year -- and that's not counting what bplus sent via mail as I haven't recieved it yet (and probably won't for several days, the way the mail service is around here).

I try to be as open and transparent as possible with our costs and donations.  At this rate, it looks like we aren't going to have any issues at all paying for a 1-year renewal.   As I mentioned above:  If we get more than what we need for a single year, with folks donating in the next month, I'll either pay for a multi-year subscription for the servers or just let the cash carry over and apply it to any unforseen rising costs which might accumilate next year. 

Many thanks to one and all who have donated and supported us!  Wink
I will try and snail mail something soon.  I don’t put my credit card info on the web much anymore these days. Had my ID stolen once before and it was a big headache.  Will use prepaid cards when I must.

Saw this online once: Before my ID was stolen I was known as David, now I’m just Dav.  Big Grin

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner