Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
thread ratings
Honestly, I ust find these thread ratings, stars, and reputation to be rather useless.  They truly don't indicate anything very well.  All it takes is a stray Pete and bplus to decide, "Hey, let's trade points!", and suddenly both of them have 10,000 points more than anyone else -- and they're not technically breaking any rules!  "Hey Pete, you're not allowed to like bplus's work!  bplus, you're not allowed to like Pete's!"

"Well hell, all 14 of my alt accounts like mine..."

How does one prevent that type of point stacking?  It's the internet.  Folks are anonymous.  How do you prevent someone from stacking the ballot box?  We've already seen point swapping, and ballot stuffing on THE BANNER VOTE, for goodness's sake!!  Now that attention has been brought to the threads being rateable, we'll soon see a couple of people who have anything and everything they post either get 5-stars, or 1-star, depending on the populartity/politics/gigglefest/annoyance involved.

Personally, I think they have potential to be useful, but that's only if the user-base is one with basic intregrity.  Private forums, local forums, those things might make decent use of reputation, stars, and ratings.  But for the internet??

There is no integrity on the internet.  Just anonymonity.  Cheat however you want; the teacher'll never know!
Yep, right again! But there may be some who get a kick out of getting a higher rep.
I have no idea (or interest, really) where my rep points came from; but rating comments can be encouraging
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/