Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How to reorder string variable x factorial different ways?
Say I have a string variable abcd$. The letters in the variable can be arranged 4 factorial or 4x3x2x1 different ways. How can I produce every combination? Find Len(abcd$) then a for/next loop Len factorial times, but what inside the loop? I'm at a loss here. Huh
(04-24-2024, 11:14 AM)Circlotron Wrote: Say I have a string variable abcd$. The letters in the variable can be arranged 4 factorial or 4x3x2x1 different ways. How can I produce every combination? Find Len(abcd$) then a for/next loop Len factorial times, but what inside the loop? I'm at a loss here. Huh
This is the calculation of the factorial: n!

Code: (Select All)

'Fakultaet iterativ mit FOR-Schleife - 11. Feb. 2023

$Console:Only
Option _Explicit

Declare Function Fakultaet(n As Integer) As _Integer64

Dim As Integer n

Locate 2, 3
Print "Iterative Berechnung der Fakultaet - (n!)"

Locate 4, 3
Input "Fakultaet von (n): ", n

Locate 5, 3
Print Using "Die Fakultaet von ### ist: ###,###,###"; n, Fakultaet(n)

End 'Hauptprogramm

Function Fakultaet (n As Integer)

Dim As _Integer64 fakul
  Dim As Integer i

fakul = 1
  For i = 1 To n
    fakul = fakul * i
  Next

Fakultaet = fakul

Oder in Julia:

[Image: Julia-Fakultaet.jpg]
Thanks for that. In the meantime I realised I was asking the wrong question. I'll start a new thread.
maybe you want every permutation, not combination as there are 4! permutations to abcd letters.
b = b + ...
ReDim Shared WordList(0) As String
FactorIt "1234", ""
For i = 1 To UBound(WordList)
    Print WordList(i),
Next

Sub FactorIt (word$, seed$)
    For i = 1 To Len(word$)
        seed1$ = seed$ + Mid$(word$, i, 1)
        w$ = Left$(word$, i - 1) + Mid$(word$, i + 1)
        For k = 1 To UBound(WordList)
            If WordList(k) = seed1$ + w$ Then Exit For
        Next
        If k > UBound(WordList) Then
            ReDim _Preserve WordList(k) As String
            WordList(k) = seed1$ + w$
        End If
        FactorIt w$, seed1$
    Next
End Sub

FactorIt above generates a list of values, removing duplicates for you.   For example, "goo" has two "o"s, so it can only generate "goo", "ogo", "oog", and a few of those in duplicate which we don't count.
I tried running the string "THIS" in this FreeBASIC permutation algorithm, but it got stuck in an endless loop...

Print "Find the permutations of the word: THIS."
a$ = "THIS"
Sleep 5
Do
    a = (Rnd * 3 Mod 4) * 365 / 4 ^ 7 + 4
    b = (Rnd * 3 Mod 4) * 365 / 4 ^ 7 + 2
    c = (Rnd * 3 Mod 4) * 365 / 4 ^ 7 + 3
    d = (Rnd * 3 Mod 4) * 365 / 4 ^ 7 + 1
    Print Mid$(a$, a, 1) + Mid$(a$, b, 1) + Mid$(a$, c, 1) + Mid$(a$, d, 1); " ";
    _Delay .02
Loop Until perm = 24

I'm thinking about emailing it to Clippy, as a screen saver.

Pete Big Grin
(04-24-2024, 11:14 AM)Circlotron Wrote: Say I have a string variable abcd$. The letters in the variable can be arranged 4 factorial or 4x3x2x1 different ways. How can I produce every combination? Find Len(abcd$) then a for/next loop Len factorial times, but what inside the loop? I'm at a loss here. Huh

I' m currently working on a similar problem for one of my games (hope it's not the same game!) so I'll be interested to see what comes up from the gurus here.

(04-25-2024, 02:13 AM)Pete Wrote: I tried running the string "THIS" in this FreeBASIC permutation algorithm, but it got stuck in an endless loop...

Print "Find the permutations of the word: THIS."
a$ = "THIS"
Sleep 5
Do
    a = (Rnd * 3 Mod 4) * 365 / 4 ^ 7 + 4
    b = (Rnd * 3 Mod 4) * 365 / 4 ^ 7 + 2
    c = (Rnd * 3 Mod 4) * 365 / 4 ^ 7 + 3
    d = (Rnd * 3 Mod 4) * 365 / 4 ^ 7 + 1
    Print Mid$(a$, a, 1) + Mid$(a$, b, 1) + Mid$(a$, c, 1) + Mid$(a$, d, 1); " ";
    _Delay .02
Loop Until perm = 24

I'm thinking about emailing it to Clippy, as a screen saver.

Pete Big Grin

Wow, wonder why that happens!  Rolleyes
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
(04-24-2024, 07:41 PM)SMcNeill Wrote:
ReDim Shared WordList(0) As String
FactorIt "1234", ""
For i = 1 To UBound(WordList)
    Print WordList(i),
Next

Sub FactorIt (word$, seed$)
    For i = 1 To Len(word$)
        seed1$ = seed$ + Mid$(word$, i, 1)
        w$ = Left$(word$, i - 1) + Mid$(word$, i + 1)
        For k = 1 To UBound(WordList)
            If WordList(k) = seed1$ + w$ Then Exit For
        Next
        If k > UBound(WordList) Then
            ReDim _Preserve WordList(k) As String
            WordList(k) = seed1$ + w$
        End If
        FactorIt w$, seed1$
    Next
End Sub

FactorIt above generates a list of values, removing duplicates for you.   For example, "goo" has two "o"s, so it can only generate "goo", "ogo", "oog", and a few of those in duplicate which we don't count.

Ahah! That's a (reasonably) simple solution to a problem I'm wrestling with at the moment! I had written a factorial-ising routine, but it was way too bulky and slow to be useful. I'll try to adapt this into my language ("dumb it down") and use it!

Edit: This worked when I used alpha chars, which is what I want) to do), but when I used anything longer than 7 characters, it gave no result.

Edit2: I was able to get results when I added this before the last Next, and remove the Print wordlist$(i)

Print wordlist(k);" ";

It's still very slow for more than 7 chars, but that may be enough (for mine, anyway). 87 sec for 8 characters.
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Quote:Edit: This worked when I used alpha chars, which is what I want) to do), but when I used anything longer than 7 characters, it gave no result.

these are permutations, there are n! for n elements

N! = 1, 2, 6, 24, 120, 720, 5040, 40320, 362880, 3628800, ....

that sequence expands faster than any x^n ie expedentially plus!

you propably didn't get results because you didn't wait long enough plus real easy to go beyond the limits of the type fairly quickly.

that routine steve provided i think was better than what i had, except maybe the non recursive one?

i filed the data for 10 letters or digits so i could use a substitution technique for 10 of anything without recalculating permutaions of 10 things because it takes so long.
b = b + ...
At the risk of hijacking  Circlotron's post further,  Big Grin   thanks @bplus. I was aware of the permutatins thing and its associated problem with expansion, but couldn't see a way around it.
Not sure what you meant in your last line, about filing the data... could you elaborate a little? It sounds interesting.