Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DavsIDE - Alternative IDE for the QB64 compiler
@Jack: Thanks for the suggestions. I had screen position save in an early version, but for some reason removed it, can’t remember why.  Will look to re-add that.

I believe this IDE will run under Wine in Linux.

Thanks for the bug report @Spriggsy.  Yeah I need to update the QB64 detection and selection stuff. 

-Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
I'm new around here and far from an expert programmer, but I do have a license for PureBasic and wouldn't mind seeing if I can compile this to Linux, and possibly OS X if there is any demand for that. A darn shame to have to run things in Wine if they don't actually rely on anything specific to Windows.
I also have a license for Purebasic but suggested using Wine. Why? Because to convert to Linux, the programmer would have to choose from at least two GUI toolkits, GTK or Qt. The desktop environment such as GNOME or KDE might have a say on it too. I don't know, but I don't think it's translatable easily from Win32 API to "newer" thing. It would be better to write this presented application from scratch for Linux.

If you have read the first page of this thread, there @Dav answers another user that he used a lot of Win32 API calls in this presented program. Also you said you're not an advanced programmer...

I don't know how it is beyond Purebasic v4.6 but back then the Win32 API functions were given the same names but with underscore as the final figure of the name, like "MessageBox_" or "CreateWindowEx_" (without double-quotation marks). If there are too many of those, instead of the likes of "OpenWindowedScreen" or "WaitWindowEvent" or other procedures designed into Purebasic for portability, and few calls to the "Gadget" library in particular (ie. using "CreateWindowEx_" or alike to create an ordinary push-button instead "ButtonGadget"), then it will be more difficult to change the app to work on Linux.

EDIT #2: One example, to prompt the user about something happening, or to answer a yes/no question. There should be "MessageRequester" in the source code to create a "MessageBox". If you see only the procedure name originally given by M$ then it will have to be changed to call the Purebasic procedure named first.

Running under Wine gives a large possible audience of people who only care about running a Windows application but cannot go into Windows at the moment. Having to run a Windows program under Wine doesn't mean it's going to be inefficient or it has a good chance of crashing. In fact, "converting" to Linux might make it even less stable if the author of the Windows application had no intention of making it portable by OS.
(10-03-2022, 01:02 AM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: If you have read the first page of this thread, there @Dav answers another user that he used a lot of Win32 API calls in this presented program. Also you said you're not an advanced programmer...

Jeez, my bad, just wanted to jump into the community with an offer to help with something. I admit I didn't read every reply in the thread. Sounds like it's not as simple as finding someone on Linux with a PBasic license to compile, that's all I was curious about.
The thing is that it depends on the source code which is not shown. I visited Purebasic site and read the changelog, discovered there that for Linux the Qt subsystem was just added for v6, and GTK3 was given priority over GTK2. But it would require using the Purebasic procedures for portability and not the Win32 API procedures. I wasn't looking to put anybody down here, and I wasn't advertising for Wine. I was trying to help. :/