Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DavsIDE - Alternative IDE for the QB64 compiler
Thanks Dav,

Worth a shot...

J
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
(06-09-2022, 04:53 AM)johnno56 Wrote: I like the look of the IDE...  What are the chances of a Linux version popping up?

Dav's IDE is written in Purebasic so in theory can be produced for Linux.  However, it depends very much on whether there is Windows specific code that can't easily be converted to Linux and, of course, if Dav has the time and inclination to do it.  I suspect there are changes that Dav would like to make on the Windows version as a greater priority.
Thank you DAV for your editor (it's very restful whith default color).

I noticed an annoying side effect, especially when compiling codes with many lines and many files, even included.

The problem is that the EXE output does not have the name of the BAS file but the temporary one generated which is always: _DavsIDE-TEMPFILE.exe

This fact always forces me to rename the file dozens and dozens of times.

I also noticed that if the compilation takes place from the QB64 IDE this problem does not arise (and in fact it would be even stranger if the IDE knew your editor...).

It is therefore a setting that I can not set.

Can you help me?

_____
... if you can and you have time! If you can't... patience, I will remedy - maybe - with a batch file
Hmm, I'll take a look at it, korvit. I may have made a mistake somewhere when renaming the temp files.  Thanks for letting me know.

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
@Dav
I've had a look at the Consolas font in the Windows/Fonts folder. Are you sure it doesn't include extended characters. The set looks pretty comprehensive to me.

On another matter, would it be possible to be able to include a link to a .CHM file in your IDE. I am producing a CHM version of the Wiki and it would be useful to be able to open this from your IDE. I note that @euklides has also asked for a link to a PDF file from your IDE.
(07-06-2022, 07:36 PM)RNBW Wrote: @Dav
I've had a look at the Consolas font in the Windows/Fonts folder.  Are you sure it doesn't include extended characters.  The set looks pretty comprehensive to me.

On another matter,  would it be possible to be able to include a link to a .CHM file in your IDE.  I am producing a CHM version of the Wiki and it would be useful to be able to open this from your IDE.  I note that @euklides has also asked for a link to a PDF file from your IDE.

The Consolas font does have all the characters in there, but it doesn’t show code right with them. I’m trying to come up with something like it that works.

About the CHM/PDF ....yes, good idea!  

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
hello Dave Smile
I have a some feature requests
1: remember the size of the IDE, optionally also remember position
2: sub and functions pane on the side of the IDE, having to scroll through the code to find a certain sub or function can be tiresome
at the moment when the Find/Replace dialog is open you can't copy text from other places to paste into the dialog
3: enable copy when the Find/Replace dialog is open
This looks AWESOME. I am going to take a look at this for sure, Dav. Is there some source posted for this somewhere?
Tread on those who tread on you

(06-11-2022, 10:59 AM)RNBW Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 04:53 AM)johnno56 Wrote: I like the look of the IDE...  What are the chances of a Linux version popping up?

Dav's IDE is written in Purebasic so in theory can be produced for Linux.  However, it depends very much on whether there is Windows specific code that can't easily be converted to Linux and, of course, if Dav has the time and inclination to do it.  I suspect there are changes that Dav would like to make on the Windows version as a greater priority.
I don't know which Linux any of you use, but you could install Wine and try to run the editor which is the focus of this post. Might have to download "winetricks" as well and execute at the terminal:
Code: (Select All)
winetricks corefonts
to make sure the system isn't missing any fonts that a large percentage of GUI programs look for.
Acquiring Wine should be easy, however there are different versions depending on which distro. The Debian/Ubuntu family are really behind on this, the former at v5 and the latter at v6. Instead you could install it for Fedora or Void which is always cutting edge, currently at v7.16. Might be available for Arch like that also and derrivatives of it such as Manjaro. The thing is to make sure you enable "multilib" mode or get the 32-bit mode as well as 64-bit. Right after installing Wine, run "winecfg" on the terminal, it could add as much as 1GB as configuration for v7. Yes this is a lot of disk space but blame it on M$. Then put down the "winetricks" command like I've already mentioned.
I don't think there would be any pep to create a Linux version of this editor because of at least five different desktop environments which is the great reason why QB64PE doesn't support dragon-drop. If you like dragging text back and forth, like from file manager to app, you can't do better than trying to run the Windows version app under Wine.
Just noticed above the OP could add CHM support. For that, under Wine, must install "gecko" which is usually kept separate. Anyway after Wine is installed and the user double-clicks on a CHM file, the system might show a dialog box saying that "gecko" needs to be installed. Another thing to watch out is that a program confusingly called "mono" or "wine-mono" also needs to be installed, while "winecfg" executes it might show a dialog offering to download it. Without it, no Windows program could work properly which has anything to do with Internet Explorer especially showing HTML, and it might be the main dependency of "gecko" as well.
I have found a bug in this IDE, @Dav
When you first run to compile a BAS file, it says you must first select the QB64 exe to compile with. Well, your open file dialog's filter is set to only "QB64.exe", meaning it will only show executables with that name. Since QB64pe is called qb64pe.exe, the executable won't appear in the file dialog. However, you can override this by typing the executable name into the bottom text box of the dialog. Just thought you should know. I'd change your filter to either "*.EXE" or "QB64*.exe"
Tread on those who tread on you