Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Announcing QB64 Phoenix Edition v0.8.2 Release!
(07-04-2022, 04:03 AM)DSMan195276 Wrote:
(07-03-2022, 11:48 AM)Fantomas Wrote: When i use QB64PE v 0.82 i have regulary this error message (see below). Then i need quit QBPE and restart it...:
After this error, it cames back for each character i type on keyboard

This is a good find, I believe the issue is that `./internal/temp/undo2.bin` is getting deleted while QB64pe is running and that then crashes the IDE. So two thoughts:

1. It probably shouldn't be getting deleted. I suspect you might be triggering a "clean" to happen (There are a few things in the IDE that can do this) which I think is clearing out a bit too many files from `./internal/temp`, including `undo2.bin`.

2. QB64pe should be able to handle this file getting deleted, it needs more error handling around it not existing since this file is not really critical to keeping the IDE functional.

That's probably not the case, I do often manually clear out the contents of the temp folder (and I mean really all files incl. all the *.bin) and I never experienced such problems. I rather suspect some permission problem here. We don't know his OS. Unforunately many people simply place QB64 in the root of their harddrive (C:\qb64), which could be a problem on Windows, if you don't have full admin rights over the system.

What I did, do and always will do in the future is placing QB64 into my "Personal Folder", hence the active current user folder. I never had any problems with it and never did need to whitelist any folders from the virus scanner. Just drop QB64 into "your" folder and then go play with it, it's the best recommendation I can give. Windows today is not as open as it was in the past and behaves sometimes really picky on where you place things, and your "Personal Folder" is provided exectly for that, your personal stuff, just leave the system alone.
(07-04-2022, 08:13 AM)RhoSigma Wrote: That's probably not the case, I do often manually clear out the contents of the temp folder (and I mean really all files incl. all the *.bin) and I never experienced such problems. I rather suspect some permission problem here. We don't know his OS. Unforunately many people simply place QB64 in the root of their harddrive (C:\qb64), which could be a problem on Windows, if you don't have full admin rights over the system.

Yeah that's fair, I was just theorizing based on the line it was exploding on. That said, after checking the documentation (which I should have done XD...) `BINARY` will create non-existing files anyway, so that can't really be the underlying problem like I had thought. And trying it myself I can't trigger the error regardless of when I delete those files.