Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
could someone kindly bring me up to date with a couple qb64 items?
I'm a little confused today... Going to qb64.com, in the Community > Forums section, there was always a link to here (which appeared last on the list, not sure why) but now it says there are no official forums for QB64, and no link to these forums at all. 

Searching for answers, I wound up at 
https://barnes.x10host.com/pages/BASIC-R...ources.php
where a link to these forums is first on the list. 

This may be a dumb question, but I'm not entirely clear what barnes.x10host.com is for, or why all this QB64 stuff isn't under one qb64.com domain? 

I realize things tend to change quickly in this crazy world of ours, and I don't follow the discord thread constantly, and maybe I missed a memo, so could someone explain what's up with that? 

Also, I see the talk about the new QB 0.81. The last version of QB64 that I downloaded, before the fiasco with what's his name, was 2.0.2. I imagine that after The Jerk kicked everyone off of the forums which included the git project for the source code, that the project had to be forked or recreated or whatever it was the devs had to so, but does that mean the only code we could pick up from was from before 1.0, or did the devs decide that QB64 PE was now a different project, and decide on some beta version numbering? 

I never saw a memo about the version numbering, so am not sure how that all came about. 
I would think that even if we "rebranded" QB64 as "phoenix edition", that we would want to keep incrementing the version number we had, and the next release would be version 2.1.x, 3.x, or similar? 
This kind of reminds me of back in the day when the marketing people for Intel started calling their CPUs Pentium, Pentium II, Pentium III, etc. instead of 586, 686, 786, etc. It's mildly annoying but as long as the stuff works right? I just want to understand how this newest version 0.81 compares to the old version 2.0.2, before upgrading...

Anyway, if anyone could please set me straight on the forums and the version numbering and which Web sites / domains are for what, it would be much appreciated!
QB64 has picked up a fork in development. .com people are still with last version QB64 2.02. PE people have option to get version v.0.8.2 fixed v 0.8.0 of the $ in filename or path and the v 0.8.1 blunder with Compiler options. Getting v 0.8.2 will give option to compile from optimized setting from the IDE like you could do from command line. Also has all the fixes for the Wiki in Help from earlier updates since the fork. I don't know what .com people are doing for IDE Help???
b = b + ...
https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=259 -- Read this.  It explains the logic behind our version numbers.  Smile

TLDR: Basically, we branched off the development build.  Any version after 1.0 should be a *stable* build, in my opinion, and we didn't feel we could promise that, as we weren't the ones involved with whatever was in the development build.  We weren't certain about what they'd finished working on, and what was still being worked on. Since we were sorting out the glitches and all that came from server swapping and such, we swapped over to calling our version "Phoenix Edition" and the 0.x version numbers.

We're branched off of -- and built on top of -- version 2.0.2 development.  Think of us as going from Windows 98 to Windows Vista, except we went from QB64 to QBPE.  New team, new fork, new version number -- same base product + enhancements, at the end of the day.  ?
(06-13-2022, 07:18 PM)bplus Wrote: QB64 has picked up a fork in development. .com people are still with last version QB64 2.02. PE people have option to get version v.0.8.2 fixed v 0.8.0 of the $ in filename or path and the v 0.8.1 blunder with Compiler options. Getting v 0.8.2 will give option to compile from optimized setting from the IDE like you could do from command line. Also has all the fixes for the Wiki in Help from earlier updates since the fork. I don't know what .com people are doing for IDE Help???
and
(06-13-2022, 07:29 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=259 -- Read this.  It explains the logic behind our version numbers.  Smile

TLDR: Basically, we branched off the development build.  Any version after 1.0 should be a *stable* build, in my opinion, and we didn't feel we could promise that, as we weren't the ones involved with whatever was in the development build.  We weren't certain about what they'd finished working on, and what was still being worked on. Since we were sorting out the glitches and all that came from server swapping and such, we swapped over to calling our version "Phoenix Edition" and the 0.x version numbers.

We're branched off of -- and built on top of -- version 2.0.2 development.  Think of us as going from Windows 98 to Windows Vista, except we went from QB64 to QBPE.  New team, new fork, new version number -- same base product + enhancements, at the end of the day.  ?

Aha, OK. That at least makes sense.
Thanks guys for explaining!

PS I just saw this - it seems I wasn't the only one confused, so now I don't feel so bad!
the apocalypse!
> I'm a little confused today... Going to qb64.com, in the Community > Forums section, there was always a link to here (which appeared last on the list, not sure why) but now it says there are no official forums for QB64, and no link to these forums at all.

Cory (the person who owns `qb64.com`) recently removed all references to Phoenix Edition from the website, that would be why you're confused Smile

Personally I don't care to get caught up in all the drama as I'm just interested in working on QB64 itself (this is a hobby, I do this for fun Big Grin), so I couldn't tell you why certain decisions were made and don't actively follow what they're doing. That said, just to be clear, none of us working on Phoenix Edition have any control over what is or is not put on `qb64.com`.

> or did the devs decide that QB64 PE was now a different project, and decide on some beta version numbering?

To tack onto what Steve clarified, I think somewhat soon we should be ready for an actual stable release (I think we've sorted through the few "development" things and at this point won't be making any changes to it). We haven't talked about what version we will actually go to at that point but we might consider going to `3.0.0` as a clarity thing. Either way functionally we're a new product and the `2.X` versions aren't related to it beyond being the starting point.

We should probably also agree on an abbreviated name Big Grin I've seen QBPE, QB64 PE, QB64-PE, etc... I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of calling it all of those at one point or another.
(06-14-2022, 02:10 AM)DSMan195276 Wrote: > I'm a little confused today... Going to qb64.com, in the Community > Forums section, there was always a link to here (which appeared last on the list, not sure why) but now it says there are no official forums for QB64, and no link to these forums at all.

Cory (the person who owns `qb64.com`) recently removed all references to Phoenix Edition from the website, that would be why you're confused Smile

Personally I don't care to get caught up in all the drama as I'm just interested in working on QB64 itself (this is a hobby, I do this for fun Big Grin), so I couldn't tell you why certain decisions were made and don't actively follow what they're doing. That said, just to be clear, none of us working on Phoenix Edition have any control over what is or is not put on `qb64.com`.

> or did the devs decide that QB64 PE was now a different project, and decide on some beta version numbering?

To tack onto what Steve clarified, I think somewhat soon we should be ready for an actual stable release (I think we've sorted through the few "development" things and at this point won't be making any changes to it). We haven't talked about what version we will actually go to at that point but we might consider going to `3.0.0` as a clarity thing. Either way functionally we're a new product and the `2.X` versions aren't related to it beyond being the starting point.

We should probably also agree on an abbreviated name Big Grin I've seen QBPE, QB64 PE, QB64-PE, etc... I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of calling it all of those at one point or another.

Thanks for further clarifying! 
I don't care whether y'all call it QBPE, QB64PE, or Mr. Kemeny and Mr. Kurtz' Bastard Love Child Re-re-re-visited, as long as my all the old QuickBasic programs still work with it! ?

The only real problem that this splitting up into separate projects causes, is it might confuse newcomers looking to get started. Which is the "real" QB64? What is the difference between the editions? 

It would be cool if the different factions played nice and did link to each other, or at least put some information on their respective sites like "we all used to be qb64 but now we're Thing 1 and Thing 2..." etc. etc. but that's up to the respective developers. 

Along those lines, it would be helpful down the road, to add info like that to the FAQ somewhere, maybe explaining the QB64 "family tree" and even including short reviews and comparisons between the extant flavors of QuickBasic / QB64 (when we are far enough along that something definitive can be said). 

One other question - so are Cory and his "qb64.com" splitting off to their own discord channel too? 

Anyway thanks again for your reply!
> I don't care whether y'all call it QBPE, QB64PE, or Mr. Kemeny and Mr. Kurtz' Bastard Love Child Re-re-re-visited, as long as my all the old QuickBasic programs still work with it! ?

Yeah I'm in the same boat Tongue The name doesn't matter to me, though we should be consistent with it.

> The only real problem that this splitting up into separate projects causes, is it might confuse newcomers looking to get started. Which is the "real" QB64? What is the difference between the editions?

I agree it's going to be confusing, but I don't think there's much avoiding that. There is no "real" qb64 because the 'QB64 team' never handed things off to a new owner (for obvious reasons) and the only person who has access to qb64team/qb64 is the person who took away all the access for everyone else XD Those in charge of qb64.com decided they were unhappy with how we were continuing things with Phoenix Edition, so they intend to make their own version at some point.

> One other question - so are Cory and his "qb64.com" splitting off to their own discord channel too?

Yes, I'm not in it but it is linked on qb64.com somewhere.
(06-14-2022, 02:07 PM)DSMan195276 Wrote: > I don't care whether y'all call it QBPE, QB64PE, or Mr. Kemeny and Mr. Kurtz' Bastard Love Child Re-re-re-visited, as long as my all the old QuickBasic programs still work with it! ?

Yeah I'm in the same boat Tongue The name doesn't matter to me, though we should be consistent with it.

> The only real problem that this splitting up into separate projects causes, is it might confuse newcomers looking to get started. Which is the "real" QB64? What is the difference between the editions?

I agree it's going to be confusing, but I don't think there's much avoiding that. There is no "real" qb64 because the 'QB64 team' never handed things off to a new owner (for obvious reasons) and the only person who has access to qb64team/qb64 is the person who took away all the access for everyone else XD Those in charge of qb64.com decided they were unhappy with how we were continuing things with Phoenix Edition, so they intend to make their own version at some point.

> One other question - so are Cory and his "qb64.com" splitting off to their own discord channel too?

Yes, I'm not in it but it is linked on qb64.com somewhere.

All that makes sense. 
I'll just keep following the developments and see what happens!
Thanks again for the info!