Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64pe version 3.0 released!
@TerryRitchie @Pete If you guys like v3.0, then you're really going to get excited with the upcoming changes for our next release...

Soon(tm) we'll have the whole audio backend ripped out and replaced, and SoonAfter(tm), the image backend will do the same.

Some key differences:  https://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/...COPYING.md <-- you'll no longer have to worry over LGPL License restrictions when making a program with sound in it.  That was the old audio library that was being used -- the new one is MIT Licensed.

You'll see support for several new formats appearing which we didn't have before.  MIDI, xm, MOD, FLAC...  I dunno what all off the top of my head...

When the image changes go live, you'll find more image formats available.  (We'll be getting 256 color _LOADIMAGE back into the language finally.)  Along with this added versitality, you'll also see a slight speed increase in your graphic loading speeds.  (Only from about 30 to 60% faster, IIRC, depending on image type (BMP, PNG, GIF...))  Big Grin

So basically it'll be more formats available, faster run times, and more permissive licensing...

All coming SOON(tm) to a Phoenix Edition near you!!  Wink
Installed, tested some, all seems super. I have only one small quibble. Why change the zipped folder name from qb64 to qb64pe? This affects many of my shortcuts. Don't know about others here, but the name changed also in the first PE I installed, and then you thankfully went back to calling it qb64, and now you changed it again.

No big deal. This time, I went ahead and changed the unzipped folder name to qb64, figuring maybe this folder name will keep changing back and forth anyway. Nice new icon, though! Also, I see your logic in calling this v3.0. Makes sense to me!
(08-27-2022, 11:09 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: Can you post a screenshot?  And maybe upload the config file?  I use a similar system and can't replicate the issue.  Haven't heard anyone else mention it either.  Sad

I can't post an image because the size appears to be limited to 602x337 and this truncates the image.  However, what happens is that a larger console is produced for the previous version of QB64PE than that for QB64PE V3 using the same code and the same screen (SCREEN 12 used).  I have changed nothing on my computer and have both versions running at the same time.  The smaller output console on V3 results in tiny text and picture output.

Hang on, I'll put the output on a WORD page and give you a link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1z5td60rcu1rw....docx?dl=0
@RNBW We're digging into it.  Whatever's going on with your setup is a rare case at play, and it's hard to debug a glitch that you can't reproduce.  I'm thinking it's a failure to properly scale with your computers DPI display settings.  Would you mind turning that 150% scale factor off and testing the program in both versions?  I'm curious if v0.8.2 is using that scale properly, while something in v3 might have disabled it.

Being able to root the scale factor out will at least narrow down the possibilities with the problem.  Wink
Can verify and now reproduce the glitch. I'm almost 100% certain this is a case of DPI Awareness not being aware... We're digging into it. Wink
(08-28-2022, 03:45 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: Can verify and now reproduce the glitch.  I'm almost 100% certain this is a case of DPI Awareness not being aware...  We're digging into it.  Wink

I think you are probably correct.  I changed the resolution scale to 100% and rebooted.  I opened up QB64PE 0.8.2 and QB64PE 3. 

The QB64 0.8.2 IDE shrunk in size as one would expect, but QB64PE 3 IDE remained the same size.  I ran the program (which is the code in Example 5 of CASEIS in the Wiki) and the output window for both was the same size with text and graphics also the same size.

I changed back to 150% scale and ran the IDEs and programs again and the program from QB64PE 0.8.2 enlarged, but the other stayed the same size as the 100% scale.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Hi Steve I'm a bit embarrassed - would I find the link to the latest version via the Portal? The menu options when I first log onto the community don't appear to have a link to get the latest version of QB64PE and I'm a little unsure of where to grab it. Thanks
(08-28-2022, 03:58 PM)RNBW Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 03:45 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: Can verify and now reproduce the glitch.  I'm almost 100% certain this is a case of DPI Awareness not being aware...  We're digging into it.  Wink

I think you are probably correct.  I changed the resolution scale to 100% and rebooted.  I opened up QB64PE 0.8.2 and QB64PE 3. 

The QB64 0.8.2 IDE shrunk in size as one would expect, but QB64PE 3 IDE remained the same size.  I ran the program (which is the code in Example 5 of CASEIS in the Wiki) and the output window for both was the same size with text and graphics also the same size.

I changed back to 150% scale and ran the IDEs and programs again and the program from QB64PE 0.8.2 enlarged, but the other stayed the same size as the 100% scale.

I hope this is helpful to you.

We've pinpointed the point where the glitch entered the repo.  We just haven't pinpointed the glitch itself fully yet.  It won't be much longer before we can patch this problem, I don't think.
(08-28-2022, 04:07 PM)Dimster Wrote: Hi Steve I'm a bit embarrassed - would I find the link to the latest version via the Portal? The menu options when I first log onto the community don't appear to have a link to get the latest version of QB64PE and I'm a little unsure of where to grab it. Thanks
Releases · QB64-Phoenix-Edition/QB64pe (github.com)

Just scroll down the page a bit and you'll see the Assets link.  If it's not open, just click it and you'll find the 6 resource files there, where you can choose whichever fits your system.  Smile

@SMcNeill,

maybe you should add a permanent redirect link on the "Official links" board to point to the latest release:

h t t p s://github.com/QB64-Phoenix-Edition/QB64pe/releases/latest

Note I've added spaces to the http part to avoid the forum software mangles it into a clickable link.

I've the same link on the Wiki main page.