Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our 200th user registered today.
You are right, Pete didn’t say *superior* but *above them*. I must apologize. English is not my native Language and it’s hard for me sometímes to guess the meaning of some pirases.
Pete's terrible for folks who have English as a second language.  He's a very "punny" fellow, and most of his posts will have at least one pun in them, in one form or another.  (Which is what this was:  Air Force... flying in airplanes...  Marines are generally ground troops...  Were you "above them" a lot? Wink )
(10-29-2022, 11:39 PM)hannibal_leckter Wrote: You are right, Pete didn’t say *superior* but *above them*. I must apologize. English is not my native Language and it’s hard for me sometímes to guess the meaning of some pirases.

We native speakers often have the same problem, Welcome.
DO: LOOP: DO: LOOP
sha_na_na_na_na_na_na_na_na_na:
(10-29-2022, 03:16 AM)hannibal_leckter Wrote: Hungry? Not at all! Big Grin  this was just the nickname I got in the Air Force
Welcome to the forums!

B.A. Barracus: I ain't going into no airplane, Hannibal! >:O
From "A-Team" television series. ROFLMAO!
(10-30-2022, 12:09 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: Pete's terrible for folks who have English as a second language.  He's a very "punny" fellow, and most of his posts will have at least one pun in them, in one form or another.  (Which is what this was:  Air Force... flying in airplanes...  Marines are generally ground troops...  Were you "above them" a lot? Wink )

@SMcNeill
Sounds like you have a warped sense of humour, like me!
I don't know if it's permitted on the Forum to promote a website, but you might get a smile out of this page on my website:

https://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/p/english.html

If it's not allowed, just delete it, no offence meant or taken.
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
Some people in the U.S.A. don't take kindly to jokes about soldiers, even if they are "witty". It might be the same for users in other countries about their troops. That said, I don't understand how "Bettle Bailey" lasted as long as it did with such a lazy fool getting away with things and the poorly-drawn Sarge that was given one tooth sometimes. LOL. There was something else in that cartoon that I didn't like.
Dear mnrvovrfc (is the only way I can refer to you), I have been a soldier part of my life and I NEVER will make jokes about soldiers. No matter if we speak of US soldiers, spanish soldiers of whatever country soldiers, all of them deserve my respect and admiration.

But once said that, I must also say that I don’t understand people that “puns’ against “folks that have English as a second Language”. And, despiste of the efforts of McNeill and OldMoses, to which I am grateful, I feel that I am not welcome in this forum, so this will be my last post.

Thank you to the rest of you for your patience. God bless you and good luck!
(11-19-2022, 09:20 PM)hannibal_leckter Wrote: Dear mnrvovrfc (is the only way I can refer to you), I have been a soldier part of my life and I NEVER will make jokes about soldiers. No matter if we speak of US soldiers, spanish soldiers of whatever country soldiers, all of them deserve my respect and admiration.
I'm sorry if any portion of my posting offended you or anybody else on this forum. I was a teenager while "A-Team" series fired up and was rather ignorant about it. Some of it was funny, though. I had also watched "Mr. T" cartoon series but that was a bit lame, like he was the best drawn there LOL.

hannibal_leckter you picked a portion of a name that is respected in world history. A virtuous man he was indeed but the side he was on wasn't virtuous. The Romans weren't destined to be defeated by any force that went against them, they were destined to be defeated by being stagnant and by having disorder from inside, after they wasted other stagnant and disordered people. I liked Hannibal's story, except when he got tired of fighting the Romans and killed himself.

The main aspect of "Beetle Bailey" was what prevented me from enjoying it. Some contempt for authority is what it looked like. Such a lazy soldier should have never been a soldier! I was glad I saw a cartoon shown somewhere else (with apologies written to the original author of the strip) of Bailey being kicked out of an army recruiter's office. There was more... but this was in a book that I bought while Mr. Clinton was president of the U.S.A. and I don't want to get into detail about the rest of it.

For the most part on Internet, I came across persons who used English as second language and were polite, were fun to talk to for a short time. So when I joined a forum and came across an Asian dude who was darned rude, only because I posted in one of his topics, and he kept opening topics with stupid questions that nobody answered, largely because the forum population was about as small as this one, it surprised me very much. I still think of that as an exception.

One more thing: Pete sometimes says things which are off the wall and makes people laugh, but he doesn't mean to offend. He calls me "mn" and stuff like that but I let it slide. Don't feel bad by something written here that looks like an insult from far away. Sadly, any impersonal posting forum that you could join like this one would have at least one person that cannot hold back writing something that maybe shouldn't be posted.
(11-19-2022, 09:20 PM)hannibal_leckter Wrote: Dear mnrvovrfc (is the only way I can refer to you), I have been a soldier part of my life and I NEVER will make jokes about soldiers. No matter if we speak of US soldiers, spanish soldiers of whatever country soldiers, all of them deserve my respect and admiration.

But once said that, I must also say that I don’t understand people that “puns’ against “folks that have English as a second Language”. And, despiste of the efforts of McNeill and OldMoses, to which I am grateful, I feel that I am not welcome in this forum, so this will be my last post.

Thank you to the rest of you for your patience. God bless you and good luck!

You are most welcome here Hannibal. I might be the former Marine Pete was referring to when cracking his joke. This former Marine wishes you would stay. My second son is right now going through the process of joining the Air Force and I couldn't be prouder.

Please reconsider staying and breaking code with us. Smile
Congrats, Terry, on having a son who will be flying over your footsteps! When I was young, I always had a fascination with flying, but I was not qualified to join the Air Force, as in high school I only managed a "C" in Plane Geometry. Big Grin

I actually did have an uncle in the Air Force. That was during WWII, and my Dad was a paratrooper. My uncle (his brother-in-law) asked him why on earth he volunteered for that division? My Dad's response was," Because it might come in handy if you're the one flying the plane!" They remained great friends after the war. It probably had something to do with their shared sense of humor.

Pete