Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.3.0 Released!
(10-25-2022, 06:34 PM)Pete Wrote: Curious as to why the IDE file menu changed.

Older format:
NEW
OPEN
SAVE
SAVE AS
(6) Most recent files
Recent...

Our new version lists only (3) of the most recent, and Clear Recent has replaced the much desired Recent... selection.
Pete

Not at my place:

[Image: Menue-Wie-Immer-3-3-0.jpg]
(10-25-2022, 06:34 PM)Pete Wrote: Curious as to why the IDE file menu changed.

Older format:

NEW
OPEN
SAVE
SAVE AS
(6) Most recent files
Recent...

Our new version lists only (3) of the most recent, and Clear Recent has replaced the much desired Recent... selection.

Maybe this menu can be customized?

Love our new PE desktop icon, btw.

Pete

This is because you start a new set with every version update, until you fill in more recent files it will look like that.
Best to do 6 files fast to get rid of that dang clear recent, which looks so much like recent if you aren't paying attention.
b = b + ...
LOL it's not worse than, say GEdit/Mousepad/Pluma on Linux, and also L3afpad. After the program is fired up it insists setting "Recent files" list in open file dialog. Sometimes "poof!" no entries in there, and it doesn't matter how much time passes with the next time the program was started, if at least three days. It greatly irritated me, naturally, and sought to do something about it. It came from GNOME which did a lot of wack things to imitate M$ trying to cajol everybody into one style, one desktop, one way of working which was supposed to be simple and fun.

I almost don't use QB64PE IDE but I do use one of those text editors on Linux a lot. NPPP is for Windows only; there are imitators which use the Scintilla base code but just ugh. I picked up one in AppImage format which doesn't have any preferences to change its behavior! So much for biting off a better program. Once I installed Liri Text to discover it was the most restrictive program I've ever used to edit text -- even more restrictive than Windows Notepad! Oh well I wanted to change the screen font at least and it didn't let me.

I like Kate but it and KWrite have a very strange word-wrap function. If either program is set to indent a line at the beginning, anything wrapped is also indented to the same column level. This might be good for Python programmers but it sucks hard for creating regular documents. It's the hint that I should be using Libreoffice Writer or something like that for regular documents instead. I've never used Geany, simply chose something else for editing source code.

NPPP is actually not a bad program but some of its behaviors drove me up the wall a few times. Like sometimes opening a dialog it owns or something else, then its refusal to show the cursor or any hint that it responded to user input, and passive attempts failed to get its attention. One thing that I have noticed that no software developer has gotten right is input focus intuitively expected by the user that is not married that much either to the keyboard or to the mouse. I hate touch screens and I don't want to be told that's the solution by lazy developers only wanting to make money. Arrow
(10-26-2022, 11:10 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: I like Kate but it and KWrite have a very strange word-wrap function. If either program is set to indent a line at the beginning, anything wrapped is also indented to the same column level. This might be good for Python programmers but it sucks hard for creating regular documents. It's the hint that I should be using Libreoffice Writer or something like that for regular documents instead. I've never used Geany, simply chose something else for editing source code.

Under Linux (SuSE) I used jedit for programming, I liked it best under KDE. On the command line it was Vim, even now under WSL.
For websites I used Quanta in Linux, a really good clone of Homesite on Windows - I had a brief exchange of views with the developer. It's been a long time - around 2005.

On the command line, Vim is the best for me.