Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 Phoenix Edition v3.3.0 Released!
Very pale! I'm blonde and sensitive when I'm in the sun. At such latitudes. I have to be careful there. I also have never laid in the sun to "fry".

In this country I have no problem if I z. B. ride a bike, not even in strong sunshine.

PS: Florida, I have a Facebook acquaintance there. When I finally get  money again, maybe I'll visit her. Let's see.  Wink
I kid around a lot, I know, but seriously, if you do decide to visit anywhere in Florida, go in the winter and still be very careful about any unprotected tie outdoors. Fair skin folks can get a 2nd degree sunburn in an hour by lying out on the beach WITH sun screen applied.

In regard to the new release, I just noticed an IDE behavior...

If you turn SYNTAX CHECKING off, and then paste in something with a syntax error, which is also not indented, auto-indent will not occur. Apparently even though the syntax error is not reported in the IDE, it still notices the error and refuses to auto-indent the code as pasted.

Pete

PS, If I every get to Germany, I want to ride the Alpine Coaster!
If eggs are brain food, Biden has his scrambled.

Slowly getting OT.
Forget alpine coasters! Look at Thuringia. I was born in Gotha, and we often hiked here with the family: where the "Drei Gleichen" are. The English explanation is not correct! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleichen

This is the real reason for the designation:
"According to legend, the term three equals came about after a ball lightning struck on May 31, 1231, after which the castles are said to have burned like three equal torches."
The castles are: Burg Gleichen, Mühlburg, Veste Wachsenburg

View from the Mühlburg to the castle of Gleichen (I took such a picture myself, but I can't find it.)
Back on topic: I haven't downloaded this new release yet. It would be nice to have surround-sound equipment to test the new "_SNDPLAYCOPY" functionality. I have at least one music program that could let me create a song taking advantage of it, but I'm not a very good music producer LOL. I've given up a long time ago on "AS _BIT", even though it's my fault, and therefore the "times-bit" thing is something else I'm not interested in. Yes I would like to have a lot of boolean variables occupying the least memory possible but... my lazy self would rather avoid constructs making my code more difficult to read.

Maybe I should get it because I'm two releases behind now...
Back on topic too I downloaded win x64-3.3.0.7z today and 2 x's it looked as if downloaded 100% and a folder was created in download section but I go to close browser and told not done downloading?? It sat there at 100% for some time doing nothing so I closed anyway and folder disappears. We had this problem before.

Anyway 3rd time instead of closing browser I started the 7z extraction while the folder was showing, got the QB64 Folder up and then everything seemed to work including not being told again it wasn't done downloading.
b = b + ...
(10-13-2022, 09:49 PM)Pete Wrote: If you turn SYNTAX CHECKING off, and then paste in something with a syntax error, which is also not indented, auto-indent will not occur. Apparently even though the syntax error is not reported in the IDE, it still notices the error and refuses to auto-indent the code as pasted.

I don't think what you're seeing is new, I'm pretty sure the auto-indent has always worked that way and stops indenting if it finds an invalid line regardless of how it gets there (pasted or just typed in).

I'd have to go digging but I would assume even when you turn the "syntax checker" off it still runs all the compilation logic and the syntax checking is used to do the auto indentation (and just doesn't report errors to you). I don't think this is really fixable because parsing the syntax is necessary to properly do the indentation. Lines like `FOR i = 1 TO 20: NEXT` require parsing the full line to understand the indentation of the following lines, and if you have Ex. a syntax error on a `LOOP` line then the auto indentation would screw everything up if it tried to ignore that line and keep going.
(10-14-2022, 12:53 AM)bplus Wrote: Back on topic too I downloaded win x64-3.3.0.7z today and 2 x's it looked as if downloaded 100% and a folder was created in download section but I go to close browser and told not done downloading?? It sat there at 100% for some time doing nothing so I closed anyway and folder disappears. We had this problem before.

Anyway 3rd time instead of closing browser I started the 7z extraction while the folder was showing, got the QB64 Folder up and then everything seemed to work including not being told again it wasn't done downloading.
I'm really glad I'm not on Windows11... this is just ridiculous. Now QB64PE is being flagged even before it could be completely downloaded, not just after it could be fired up for the first time? This "not done downloading" happened to me a few times with M$'s crap browser, but with trying to download something else apparently not malicious. Firefox could be infuriating to use on Linux downloading then opening a ZIP then trying to extract from that ZIP or anything else, and cannot make a copy of the ZIP.

I guess it's useless going into "cmd.exe" terminal to use "wget" instead, M$ might decide to block that.
(10-14-2022, 04:14 AM)DSMan195276 Wrote: I don't think what you're seeing is new, I'm pretty sure the auto-indent has always worked that way and stops indenting if it finds an invalid line regardless of how it gets there (pasted or just typed in).
One thing that I've noticed is that once "OPTION _EXPLICIT" is put at the top of the code, the IDE refuses to format a line which has a variable it complained about. Then once the user starts typing "DIM a AS..." or alike, the line that contains a "a=10" or alike adjusts itself. This is mind-boggling to me which is why I avoid the IDE most of the time.

I mean, the QuickBASIC editor was kewl in how it formatted source code, perhaps it was ahead of its time although it didn't even have syntax highlighting. I felt bad with my copy of Turbo Pascal v6 considered worthless by the kids in college because the next version of it had the Turbo Vision IDE with colored keywords and that other junk. Oh well would have to deal with it sometimes in "Kate", "Pluma" and other such programs: boldfaced keywords which mess up the "monospaced" alignment, cannot change from red to another color easily with any derrivative of "GEdit", program could be arbitrary about highlighting matched brackets, bright red for operators and/or numerals, dull grey or green for comments so they're difficult to read in dark mode etc.
(10-14-2022, 04:14 AM)DSMan195276 Wrote:
(10-13-2022, 09:49 PM)Pete Wrote: If you turn SYNTAX CHECKING off, and then paste in something with a syntax error, which is also not indented, auto-indent will not occur. Apparently even though the syntax error is not reported in the IDE, it still notices the error and refuses to auto-indent the code as pasted.

I don't think what you're seeing is new, I'm pretty sure the auto-indent has always worked that way and stops indenting if it finds an invalid line regardless of how it gets there (pasted or just typed in).

I'd have to go digging but I would assume even when you turn the "syntax checker" off it still runs all the compilation logic and the syntax checking is used to do the auto indentation (and just doesn't report errors to you). I don't think this is really fixable because parsing the syntax is necessary to properly do the indentation. Lines like `FOR i = 1 TO 20: NEXT` require parsing the full line to understand the indentation of the following lines, and if you have Ex. a syntax error on a `LOOP` line then the auto indentation would screw everything up if it tried to ignore that line and keep going.

Makes sense the two are married. If a coder screwed up a code line that should trigger an indent, and the system didn't recognize it as a screw up, no indent would occur and that would screw up a correct , I call it a closing tag like the END IF of an IF/THEN statement. So interesting to point it out, have it explained, but I agree, not something to try and fix.

Thanks for having a look,

Pete
(10-13-2022, 09:49 PM)Pete Wrote: I kid around a lot, I know, but seriously, if you do decide to visit anywhere in Florida, go in the winter and still be very careful about any unprotected tie outdoors. Fair skin folks can get a 2nd degree sunburn in an hour by lying out on the beach WITH sun screen applied.

Pah!  Florida and California give tiny little sunburns.  If you want to get a REAL burn, come to Virginia and enjoy a nice nap in the shade of our Giant Hogsweed plants.  The sap has 2 nice little properties to it:  Step 1, it works as a mild anesthetic to lightly numb the skin.  Step 2, it works as a UV blocker-blocker...  You lose all protection from the sun's rays and in less than an hour can be facing 3rd degree burns with blisters that cook all the way down to the bones.

Dangerous Giant Hogweed burn - Bing images  <-- some of these images aren't for the squeamish of heart!  Be forewarned!

And absolute bestest part of these stupid plants?  They look almost exactly like Giant Cow Parsley, which has been around forever and ever here in Virginia.  Most people will completely ignore these newly invasive plants, simply thinking they're the same old harmless plants which we'd had around forever.  You'll walk in the woods, trail, or field, come back to your car an hour later, and then have to be hospitalized before your skin falls off your body where it's been cooked.

Florida turns you red and might give you a few blisters to deal with.  Virginia?  We try and murderize your arse up here anymore!