Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal
The Windows terminal has been around for a long time. I've had it on Win 10 Prof for about two years. I can access my great database Wink via both.

[Image: Win-Terminal-Power-Shell.jpg]
(10-19-2022, 09:11 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: The Windows terminal has been around for a long time. I've had it on Win 10 Prof for about two years. I can access my great database Wink via both.

@Kernelpanic
I love the new Windows Terminal. I, too, have been using it since it came out on 10. It's my favorite terminal. I don't have to worry about having multiple windows and everything is nicely tabbed. Have you tried setting up Windows Terminal with some pretty fonts and customizations?

P.S. It also supports virtual terminal sequences
Tread on those who tread on you

(10-19-2022, 09:15 PM)Spriggsy Wrote:
(10-19-2022, 09:11 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: The Windows terminal has been around for a long time. I've had it on Win 10 Prof for about two years. I can access my great database Wink via both.

@Kernelpanic
I love the new Windows Terminal. I, too, have been using it since it came out on 10. It's my favorite terminal. I don't have to worry about having multiple windows and everything is nicely tabbed. Have you tried setting up Windows Terminal with some pretty fonts and customizations?

P.S. It also supports virtual terminal sequences

No, but that's interesting. In such handy programs, I only change the default font if I find it unacceptable. I tend to look for beautiful fonts in programs with graphics, like this:

[Image: Marilyn2022-10-19-232758.jpg]
Finally he posts something I'd like to ride! Vroom, vroom!

Pete
(10-19-2022, 09:46 PM)Pete Wrote: Finally he posts something I'd like to ride! Vroom, vroom!

Pete

Apologies for the lack of response over the past 24 hours. I came down with something and was not feeling well, so I was not in front of computer.

First, I want to address the question that was posted doubting whether Windows Terminal is now the default console experience. As I noted in my original posting, this is a in fact the case now. Officially announced by Microsoft. Bear in mind that this is true as of the October 18th Moment 1 Update for Windows 11 22H2.

The problems remain the same as what I reported a long time ago (I would estimate 2 years ago, but this is just a gut estimate).

1) When you open QB64PE it also opens a Terminal Window but that window will immediately minimize down to the taskbar. If you then close that Terminal window, it will also close QB64PE. Actually, it's probably more accurate to say that it crashes as the next time you open QB64PE it will ask if you want to recover the program that was open from auto-saved backup.

2) When I launch any of my programs written in QB64PE designed to output to console, those programs will now open in Windows Terminal. However, if you open a program as Admin, then it will NOT open in Windows Terminal. It will open in a standard command prompt. So, at the moment, this is not a problem, but it might be worth looking into because I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the standard command prompt went away.

3) As yet to be determined: I have not tested this yet, but hope to do so within the next day or two. Terminal allows for customization like placing an image on the Terminal screen background. I don't yet know how, or if, any such customizations will affect QB64PE output. I'll report back when I have tested this.

NOTE: My primary project (15,000 lines of code in QB64PE) must be run as admin, which means that it doesn't run in Terminal. As a result, I don't have a huge amount of testing of QB64PE programs within terminal, but I plan to hammer it a bit to see if everything seems to work.
I'm not seeing any change in behavior on my laptop whatsoever.

[Image: image.png]

If you look at the bottom right of the screenshot above, you'll see an option for what you want as a default terminal -- terminal or console.  This defaults to console, same as always.

When I change it to default to terminal, I don't find any behavior any different than with the console.  The font is a little larger, by default, it seems, but there's no minimizing of the terminal window or any odd behavior like that going on.  If someone didn't tell me that this "terminal" wasn't a console, I never would've known the difference on my own.  I'd just figure that the UI got a small tweak once again, like console has gotten several times over the years.

I honestly don't see any difference performance wise between console and terminal on my Win 11 laptop.
Again, it isn't the default console experience in 22H2. You still have to manually set this behavior. Which is exactly what I had to do even though I'm on Windows 11 22H2.

EDIT: Did not realize you said it was as of October 18th update. I apologize. That being the case, one can still change this back in Settings.
Tread on those who tread on you

(10-20-2022, 12:32 PM)Spriggsy Wrote: EDIT: Did not realize you said it was as of October 18th update. I apologize. That being the case, one can still change this back in Settings.

Yes, Windows 11 seems to have screwed up the command line, and therefore the console setting of QB64, but you can get back to familiar behavior by launching the command line, or the QB64 .exe file, by right clicking and running it as administrator.

I've yet to figure out what they intend people to so, in terms of setting their preferences. Used to be so simple. Now, whatever I try to set (unless I launch as administrator) does not seem to stick. I set color, or font size, or whatever, get out, re-launch, it's back to the default behavior.

Ugly, all black, in my case. Black background, black title bar, what the bloody hell, over? In one case, I did manage to set the background to "powershell" color, but I don't know how I did that. And I can;t seem to get it back to the old original ugly black.
BLACK SCREENS MATTER!

Well, only the SCREEN 0 ones.

@bert22306

Did you try opening command prompt, right clicking the task bar at the top, select properties, select colors?

Pete
(10-20-2022, 10:13 PM)Pete Wrote: Did you  try opening command prompt, right clicking the task bar at the top, select properties, select colors?

Ya. In the old days, and still now if you launch command prompt in admin mode, it works fine. Right click on the title bar of the command line box, click on properties, set whatever you need.

Now, if you launch command line normally, left click of the mouse, and then you right click on the ugly black title bar, you are deluged with a whole bunch of settings. But they don't stick. I looked for some sort of "save," but nothing seems to work.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Question is, why the hell "change for the sake of change"? That command line is supposed to work much like the legacy DOS prompt. It's supposed to work with batch files (.bat or .cmd). It doesn't even do that reliably well anymore, unless launched in admin mode.